Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Obstetrics & Gynecology MFM
- Births: final data for 2019.Natl Vital Stat Rep. 2021; 70: 1-51
- Why do hundreds of US women die annually in childbirth?.JAMA. 2019; 321: 1239-1241
Hoyert DL, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. National Center for Health Statistics health E-stats. Matern Mortal Rates United States 2020.https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/hestat/maternal-mortality/2020/maternal-mortality-rates-2020.htm. Accessed June 9, 2022.
- Black-white differences in severe maternal morbidity and site of care.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2016; 214 (122.e1–7)
- Severe maternal morbidity in the United States.2021 (Available at:)Accessed May 28, 2020)
- Assessment of incidence and factors associated with severe maternal morbidity after delivery discharge among women in the US.JAMA Netw Open. 2021; 4e2036148
- How does CDC identify severe maternal morbidity?.2019 (Available at:)Accessed May 28, 2020)
- Estimating the hospital delivery costs associated with severe maternal morbidity in New York City, 2008-2012.Obstet Gynecol. 2018; 131: 242-252
- Neighborhood racial and economic polarization, hospital of delivery, and severe maternal morbidity.Health Aff (Millwood). 2020; 39: 768-776
- Racial and ethnic disparities in severe maternal morbidity prevalence and trends.Ann Epidemiol. 2019; 33: 30-36
- Maternal outcomes by race during postpartum readmissions.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2019; 220 (484.e1–10)
- Birth hospitalization costs and days of care for mothers and neonates in California, 2009-2011.J Pediatr. 2019; 204: 118-125.e14
- Vital statistics linked birth/infant death and hospital discharge record linkage for epidemiological studies.Comput Biomed Res. 1997; 30: 290-305
- Hospital annual financial data.2017 (Available at:)Accessed August 25, 2016)
- Professional fee ratios for US hospital discharge data.Med Care. 2015; 53: 840-849
Crawford M, Church J, Akin B, editors. Bureau of Labor Statistics. 2017 Producer Price Index. Available at:https://www.bls.gov/news.release/archives/ppi_01112018.htm. Accessed April 23, 2018.
- Adjusting health expenditures for inflation: a review of measures for health services research in the United States.Health Serv Res. 2018; 53: 175-196
- A comprehensive analysis of the costs of severe maternal morbidity.Womens Health Issues. 2022; 32: 362-368
- Development of a comorbidity index for use in obstetric patients.Obstet Gynecol. 2013; 122: 957-965
- Epidemiology of racial/ethnic disparities in severe maternal morbidity and mortality.Semin Perinatol. 2017; 41: 258-265
- The black-white disparity in pregnancy-related mortality from 5 conditions: differences in prevalence and case-fatality rates.Am J Public Health. 2007; 97: 247-251
- Social and structural determinants of health inequities in maternal health.J Womens Health (Larchmt). 2021; 30: 230-235
- Structural racism and health inequities in the USA: evidence and interventions.Lancet. 2017; 389: 1453-1463
- Health care experiences of pregnant, birthing and postnatal women of color at risk for preterm birth.Soc Sci Med. 2018; 201: 127-135
- Measuring severe maternal morbidity: validation of potential measures.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2016; 214 (643.e1–10)
This study is partially supported by the National Institutes of Health/Eunice Kennedy Shriver National Institute of Child Health and Human Development (grant numbers R01 HD084819 and R01 HD099197).
The views expressed in this article are those of the authors and do not necessarily reflect the position or policy of the Department of Veterans Affairs or the U.S. government.
The authors report no conflict of interest.
Cite this article as: Phibbs CM, Kristensen-Cabrera A, Kozhimannil KB, et al. Racial/ethnic disparities in costs, length of stay, and severity of severe maternal morbidity. Am J Obstet Gynecol MFM 2023;XX:x.ex–x.ex.