Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Obstetrics & Gynecology MFM
- The making of fetal surgery.Prenat Diagn. 2010; 30: 653-667
- The paralysis associated with myelomeningocele: clinical and experimental data implicating a preventable spinal cord injury.Neurosurgery. 1990; 26: 987-992
- A randomized trial of prenatal versus postnatal repair of myelomeningocele.N Engl J Med. 2011; 364: 993-1004
- The Management of Myelomeningocele Study: full cohort 30-month pediatric outcomes.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2018; 218 (256.e1–13)
- New directions in fetal surgery for myelomeningocele.Childs Nerv Syst. 2017; 33: 1185-1190
- Maternal morbidity after maternal-fetal surgery.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2006; 194: 834-839
- Maternal complications following open fetal myelomeningocele repair at the Zurich center for fetal diagnosis and therapy.Fetal Diagn Ther. 2019; 46: 153-158
- Risk factors for preterm birth following open fetal myelomeningocele repair: results from a prospective cohort.Fetal Diagn Ther. 2020; 47: 15-23
- Pulmonary edema in obstetric patients is rapidly resolved except in the presence of infection or of nitroglycerin tocolysis after open fetal surgery.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 1998; 179: 925-933
- Maternal morbidity and reproductive outcomes related to fetal surgery.J Pediatr Surg. 2013; 48: 951-955
- Chorioamniotic membrane separation following fetal surgery.J Perinatol. 2002; 22: 407-410
- Endoscopic surgery for the antenatal treatment of myelomeningocele: the CECAM trial.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2016; 214 (111.e1–11)
- Fetal endoscopic myelomeningocele closure preserves segmental neurological function.Dev Med Child Neurol. 2012; 54: 15-22
- Fetoscopic open neural tube defect repair: development and refinement of a two-port, carbon dioxide insufflation technique.Obstet Gynecol. 2017; 129: 734-743
- Endoscopic fetal surgery for neural tube defects.Best Pract Res Clin Obstet Gynaecol. 2019; 58: 133-141
- Maternal and obstetric complications in fetal surgery for prenatal myelomeningocele repair: a systematic review.Neurosurg Focus. 2019; 47: E11
- Reducing perinatal complications and preterm delivery for patients undergoing in utero closure of fetal myelomeningocele: further modifications to the multidisciplinary surgical technique.J Neurosurg Pediatr. 2014; 14: 108-114
- Fetal myelomeningocele repair through a mini-hysterotomy.Fetal Diagn Ther. 2017; 42: 28-34
- Percutaneous minimal-access fetoscopic surgery for spina bifida aperta. Part II: maternal management and outcome.Ultrasound Obstet Gynecol. 2014; 44: 525-531
- Fetal surgery for myelomeningocele: after the Management of Myelomeningocele Study (MOMS).Semin Fetal Neonatal Med. 2017; 22: 360-366
- Comparison of prenatal and postnatal treatments of spina bifida in Poland–a non-randomized, single-center study.J Matern Fetal Neonatal Med. 2014; 27: 1409-1417
- Fetoscopic versus open repair for spina bifida aperta: a systematic review of outcomes.Fetal Diagn Ther. 2016; 39: 161-171
- Fetal surgery for myelomeningocele: a systematic review and meta-analysis of outcomes in fetoscopic versus open repair.Fetal Diagn Ther. 2018; 43: 161-174
- Experience of 300 cases of prenatal fetoscopic open spina bifida repair: report of the International Fetoscopic Neural Tube Defect Repair Consortium.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2021; 225 (678.e1–11)
R Core Team (2021). R: A language and environment for statistical computing. R Foundation for Statistical Computing, Vienna, Austria. Available at: https://www.R-project.org/. Accessed November 2, 2022.
- A survey of fetal care centers in the United States.J Neonatal Perinatal Med. 2014; 7: 131-135
- Epidemiology of neural tube defects.Epilepsia. 2003; 44: 4-13
- QuickFacts: United States.2022 (Available at)Accessed June 24, 2022)
- Sociodemographic disparities in fetal surgery for myelomeningocele: a single-center retrospective review.J Neurosurg Pediatr. 2021; 29: 1-5
- Procedure-related complications of open vs endoscopic fetal surgery for treatment of spina bifida in an era of intrauterine myelomeningocele repair: systematic review and meta-analysis.Ultrasound Obstet Gynecol. 2016; 48: 151-160
- A laparoscopic approach reduces short-term complications and length of stay following ileocolic resection in Crohn's disease: an analysis of outcomes from the NSQIP database.Colorectal Dis. 2012; 14: 572-577
- Laparoscopic colectomy significantly decreases length of stay compared with open operation.Surg Endosc. 2012; 26: 144-148
- Laparoscopic appendectomy significantly reduces length of stay for perforated appendicitis.Surg Endosc. 2006; 20: 495-499
- Fetal surgery for open spina bifida.Obstet Gynaecol. 2019; 21: 271-282
- Fetal myelomeningocele repair: the post-MOMS experience at the Children's Hospital of Philadelphia.Fetal Diagn Ther. 2015; 37: 235-240
The authors report no conflict of interest.
This study received no funding.
The abstract from this study was presented at the American College of Surgeons’ Clinical Congress 2022, San Diego, CA, October 18, 2022.
Cite this article as: Mikulski MF, Well A, Beckerman Z, et al. Open and endoscopic fetal myelomeningocele surgeries display similar in-hospital safety profiles in a large, multi-institutional database. Am J Obstet Gynecol MFM 2023;XX:x.ex–x.ex.