Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Obstetrics & Gynecology MFM
- Births: final data for 2017.Natl Vital Stat Rep. 2018; 67: 1-50
- Global, regional, and national estimates of levels of preterm birth in 2014: a systematic review and modelling analysis.Lancet Glob Health. 2019; 7: e37-e46
- Short-term neonatal outcome in low-risk, spontaneous, singleton, late preterm deliveries.Obstet Gynecol. 2009; 114: 253-260
- Developmental outcomes of late preterm infants from infancy to kindergarten.Pediatrics. 2016; 138e20153496
- Preterm delivery.Lancet. 2002; 360: 1489-1497
- Is preterm labor influenced by the maternal-fetal interface?.Fetal Pediatr Pathol. 2017; 36: 89-105
- Effector and activated T cells induce preterm labor and birth that is prevented by treatment with progesterone.J Immunol. 2019; 202: 2585-2608
- Preterm labor: one syndrome, many causes.Science. 2014; 345: 760-765
- Preterm labor is a distinct process from term labor following computational analysis of human myometrium.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2022; 226 (106.e1–16)
- Contemporary patterns of spontaneous labor with normal neonatal outcomes.Obstet Gynecol. 2010; 116: 1281-1287
- Preventing the first cesarean delivery: summary of a joint Eunice Kennedy Shriver National Institute of Child Health and Human Development, Society for Maternal-Fetal Medicine, and American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists Workshop.Obstet Gynecol. 2012; 120: 1181-1193
- Safe prevention of the primary cesarean delivery.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2014; 210: 179-193
- Effect of late-preterm birth and maternal medical conditions on newborn morbidity risk.Pediatrics. 2008; 121: e223-e232
- Early childhood development of late-preterm infants: a systematic review.Pediatrics. 2011; 127: 1111-1124
- A systematic review of severe morbidity in infants born late preterm.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2011; 205 (374.e1–9)
- Updates on an at-risk population: late-preterm and early-term infants.Pediatrics. 2019; 144e20192760
- Evaluation and management of women and newborns with a maternal diagnosis of chorioamnionitis: summary of a workshop.Obstet Gynecol. 2016; 127: 426-436
- Incidence and outcomes of dystocia in the active phase of labor in term nulliparous women with spontaneous labor onset.Acta Obstet Gynecol Scand. 2009; 88: 402-407
- Prolonged second stage in nulliparous with epidurals: a systematic review.J Matern Fetal Neonatal Med. 2017; 30: 461-465
- Variability of uterine contractions in normal human parturition.Obstet Gynecol. 1970; 36: 215-221
- Uterine contraction pressures with oxytocin induction/augmentation.Obstet Gynecol. 1986; 68: 305-309
- Improving our understanding of uterine activity during labour.BJOG. 2022; 129: 985
- Comparing the second stage in induced and spontaneous labor.Obstet Gynecol. 2010; 116: 606-611
- Health resource utilization of labor induction versus expectant management.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2020; 222 (369.e1–11)
- Second stage of labor and epidural use: a larger effect than previously suggested.Obstet Gynecol. 2014; 123: 527-535
- Effects of epidural labor analgesia with low concentrations of local anesthetics on obstetric outcomes: a systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials.Anesth Analg. 2017; 124: 1571-1580
- Epidural versus non-epidural or no analgesia for pain management in labour.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2018; 5CD000331
- Preterm birth by vacuum extraction and neonatal outcome: a population-based cohort study.BMC Pregnancy Childbirth. 2014; 14: 42
- Risk factors for recurrent obstetric anal sphincter injury (rOASI): a systematic review and meta-analysis.Int Urogynecol J. 2016; 27: 849-857
- Obstetric anal sphincter injury associated with preterm delivery.Eur J Obstet Gynecol Reprod Biol. 2020; 255: 266-267
- Acute chorioamnionitis and funisitis: definition, pathologic features, and clinical significance.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2015; 213: S29-S52
- Infection and labor. VI. Prevalence, microbiology, and clinical significance of intraamniotic infection in twin gestations with preterm labor.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 1990; 163: 757-761
- Maternal and fetal inflammatory responses in unexplained fetal death.J Matern Fetal Neonatal Med. 2003; 14: 151-157
- Microbial invasion of the amniotic cavity in preeclampsia as assessed by cultivation and sequence-based methods.J Perinat Med. 2010; 38: 503-513
- Duration of the second stage of labor in multiparous women: maternal and neonatal outcomes.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2007; 196 (585.e1–6)
- Neonatal and maternal outcomes with prolonged second stage of labor.Obstet Gynecol. 2014; 124: 57-67
- The impact of extending the second stage of labor to prevent primary cesarean delivery on maternal and neonatal outcomes.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2019; 220 (191.e1–7)
O.G. and N.J. contributed equally to this work.
The authors report no conflict of interest.
This study did not receive any funding.
This study was presented at the 42nd annual meeting of the Society for Maternal-Fetal Medicine, held virtually, January 31–February 5, 2022.
Cite this article as: Gutzeit O, Justman N, Ben Zvi Z, et al. Late preterm delivery has a distinctive second-stage duration and characteristics. Am J Obstet Gynecol MFM 2022;XX:x.ex–x.ex.