Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Obstetrics & Gynecology MFM
- Menopausal status and sleep-disordered breathing in the Wisconsin Sleep Cohort Study.Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2003; 167: 1181-1185
- Increased prevalence of sleep-disordered breathing in adults.Am J Epidemiol. 2013; 177: 1006-1014
- Pathophysiologic mechanisms of cardiovascular disease in obstructive sleep apnea syndrome.Pulm Med. 2013; 2013521087
- Sleep disorders during pregnancy.Sleep. 2004; 27: 1405-1417
- Effects of pregnancy on mothers’ sleep.Sleep Med. 2002; 3: 37-42
- Changes in symptoms of sleep-disordered breathing during pregnancy.Sleep. 2005; 28: 1299-1305
- Sleep disturbances in pregnancy.Obstet Gynecol. 2010; 115: 77-83
- Prospective study of the association between sleep-disordered breathing and hypertension.N Engl J Med. 2000; 342: 1378-1384
- Sleep-disordered breathing, glucose intolerance, and insulin resistance: the Sleep Heart Health Study.Am J Epidemiol. 2004; 160: 521-530
- Association of sleep apnea and type II diabetes: a population-based study.Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2005; 172: 1590-1595
- Risk factors for sleep-disordered breathing in pregnancy.Thorax. 2014; 69: 371-377
- Association between sleep-disordered breathing and hypertensive disorders of pregnancy and gestational diabetes mellitus.Obstet Gynecol. 2017; 129: 31-41
- The association between sleep disordered breathing and maternal endothelial and metabolic markers in pregnancies complicated by obesity.J Clin Sleep Med. 2022; ([Epub ahead of print])
- Obstructive sleep apnea is associated with altered glycemic patterns in pregnant women with obesity.J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2019; 104: 2569-2579
- Placenta-secreted circulating markers in pregnant women with obstructive sleep apnea.J Perinat Med. 2015; 43: 81-87
- Reduced nocturnal cardiac output associated with preeclampsia is minimized with the use of nocturnal nasal CPAP.Sleep. 2004; 27: 79-84
- Treatment of sleep disordered breathing reverses low fetal activity levels in preeclampsia.Sleep. 2013; 36: 15-21
- Pregnancy, sleep disordered breathing and treatment with nasal continuous positive airway pressure.Sleep Med. 2004; 5: 43-51
- Pre-eclampsia and nasal CPAP: part 1. Early intervention with nasal CPAP in pregnant women with risk-factors for pre-eclampsia: preliminary findings.Sleep Med. 2007; 9: 9-14
- Pre-eclampsia and nasal CPAP: part 2. Hypertension during pregnancy, chronic snoring, and early nasal CPAP intervention.Sleep Med. 2007; 9: 15-21
- Rules for scoring respiratory events in sleep: update of the 2007 AASM Manual for the Scoring of Sleep and Associated Events. Deliberations of the sleep apnea definitions task force of the American Academy of Sleep Medicine.J Clin Sleep Med. 2012; 8: 597-619
- Evaluation of sham-CPAP as a placebo in CPAP intervention studies.Sleep. 2010; 33: 260-266
- Impact of randomization, clinic visits, and medical and psychiatric Cormorbidities on continuous positive airway pressure adherence in obstructive sleep apnea.J Clin Sleep Med. 2016; 12: 333-341
- Maternal history and uterine artery Doppler in the assessment of risk for development of early- and late-onset preeclampsia and intrauterine growth restriction.Obstet Gynecol Int. 2009; 2009275613
- Uterine artery Doppler at 11 + 0 to 13 + 6 weeks and 21 + 0 to 24 + 6 weeks in the prediction of pre-eclampsia.Ultrasound Obstet Gynecol. 2008; 32: 138-146
- Soluble endoglin contributes to the pathogenesis of preeclampsia.Nat Med. 2006; 12: 642-649
- Soluble endoglin and other circulating antiangiogenic factors in preeclampsia.N Engl J Med. 2006; 355: 992-1005
- Excess placental soluble fms-like tyrosine kinase 1 (sFlt1) may contribute to endothelial dysfunction, hypertension, and proteinuria in preeclampsia.J Clin Invest. 2003; 111: 649-658
- Circulating angiogenic factors and the risk of preeclampsia.N Engl J Med. 2004; 350: 672-683
- The discovery of placenta growth factor and its biological activity.Exp Mol Med. 2012; 44: 1-9
- Prediction of gestational diabetes mellitus in a high-risk group by insulin measurement in early pregnancy.Diabet Med. 2005; 22: 1434-1439
- Homeostasis model assessment: insulin resistance and beta-cell function from fasting plasma glucose and insulin concentrations in man.Diabetologia. 1985; 28: 412-419
- Maternal insulin resistance and preeclampsia.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2011; 204 (327.e1–6)
- Gestational hypertension and preeclampsia: ACOG Practice Bulletin, Number 222.Obstet Gynecol. 2020; 135: e237-e260
- ACOG Practice Bulletin No. 190: gestational diabetes mellitus.Obstet Gynecol. 2018; 131: e49-e64
- Endothelial function in normotensive men with obstructive sleep apnea before and 6 months after CPAP treatment.Sleep. 2009; 32: 1257-1263
- Reversibility of the endothelial dysfunction after CPAP therapy in OSAS patients.Int J Cardiol. 2012; 158: 383-386
- The effect of continuous positive airway pressure treatment on hypertensive disorder in pregnant women with obstructive sleep apnea.Sleep Breath. 2022; 26: 297-305
- Continuous positive airway pressure therapy in gestational diabetes with obstructive sleep apnea: a randomized controlled trial.J Clin Sleep Med. 2018; 14: 327-336
- Personalized and patient-centered strategies to improve positive airway pressure adherence in patients with obstructive sleep apnea.Patient Prefer Adherence. 2021; 15: 1557-1570
- Educational, supportive and behavioural interventions to improve usage of continuous positive airway pressure machines in adults with obstructive sleep apnoea.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2020; 4CD007736
- Treatment of adult obstructive sleep apnea with positive airway pressure: an American Academy of Sleep Medicine systematic review, meta-analysis, and GRADE assessment.J Clin Sleep Med. 2019; 15: 301-334
- A pilot randomized-controlled trial on the effect of CPAP treatment on glycemic control in gestational diabetes: study design and methods.Front Endocrinol (Lausanne). 2018; 9: 659
- Continuous positive airway pressure (CPAP) for sleep apnea in pregnancy (SLEEP).2018 (Available at)Accessed December 7, 2022)
- Positive airway pressure, sleep apnea, and the placenta (PAP-SAP) (PAP-SAP).2015 (Available at)Accessed December 7, 2022)
S.R.P. reports receiving grant support through his institution from Bayer Pharmaceuticals, Philips Respironics, Respicardia, and Sommetrics. He also received personal consulting income from Bayer Pharmaceuticals, NovaResp Technologies, Philips Respironics, and Powell Mansfield Inc. The remaining authors report no conflict of interest.
This study received grant funding from the National Institutes of Health and the National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute under grant number R01-HL120354.
This study, entitled “Sleep Disordered Breathing, Obesity and Pregnancy Study (SOAP),” was registered with ClinicalTrials.gov, under identifier NCT02086448.
Data sharing statement: Will individual participant data be available (including data dictionaries)?
What data in particular will be shared?
Individual participant data that underlie the results reported in this article, after deidentification (text, tables, figures, and appendices)
What other documents will be available?
When will data be available (start and end dates)?
Beginning 9 months and ending 36 months following article publication.
By what access criteria will data be shared (including with whom, for what types of analyses, and by what mechanism)?
Researchers who provide a methodologically sound proposal. Proposals should be directed to [email protected], To gain access, data requestors will need to execute a Data Use Agreement.
Cite this article as: Facco FL, Wolsk J, Patel SR, et al. A trial of positive airway pressure for the treatment of sleep apnea in pregnancy. Am J Obstet Gynecol MFM 2022;XX:x.ex–x.ex.