Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Obstetrics & Gynecology MFM
- The placenta harbors a unique microbiome.Sci Transl Med. 2014; 6: 237ra65
- Comment on “the placenta harbors a unique microbiome.Sci Transl Med. 2014; 6: 254le4
- Deep microbial analysis of multiple placentas shows no evidence for a placental microbiome.BJOG. 2020; 127: 159-169
- Lack of detection of a human placenta microbiome in samples from preterm and term deliveries.Microbiome. 2018; 6: 196
- Does the human placenta delivered at term have a microbiota? Results of cultivation, quantitative real-time PCR, 16S rRNA gene sequencing, and metagenomics.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2019; 220 (:267.e1–39)
- Parallel detection of lactobacillus and bacterial vaginosis-associated bacterial DNA in the chorioamnion and vagina of pregnant women at term.J Matern Fetal Neonatal Med. 2019; 32: 2702-2710
- The placental membrane microbiome is altered among subjects with spontaneous preterm birth with and without chorioamnionitis.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2016; 214 (:627.e1–16)
- Acute chorioamnionitis and funisitis: definition, pathologic features, and clinical significance.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2015; 213: S29-S52
- Bacterial aetiological agents of intra-amniotic infections and preterm birth in pregnant women.Front Cell Infect Microbiol. 2013; 3: 58
- The human microbiome and the great obstetrical syndromes: a new frontier in maternal-fetal medicine.Best Pract Res Clin Obstet Gynaecol. 2015; 29: 165-175
- A novel molecular microbiologic technique for the rapid diagnosis of microbial invasion of the amniotic cavity and intra-amniotic infection in preterm labor with intact membranes.Am J Reprod Immunol. 2014; 71: 330-358
- Amniotic infection syndrome; pathogenesis, morphology, and significance in circumnatal mortality.Clin Obstet Gynecol. 1959; 2: 705-734
- Safe prevention of the primary cesarean delivery.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2014; 210: 179-193
- Power and sample-size estimation for microbiome studies using pairwise distances and PERMANOVA.Bioinformatics. 2015; 31: 2461-2468
- Classification of placental lesions.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2015; 213: S21-S28
Thompson LR, Sanders JG, McDonald D, et al. The Earth Microbiome Project. 2017. Available at: wwwearthmicrobiomeorg. Accessed January 2020.
- Reproducible, interactive, scalable and extensible microbiome data science using QIIME 2.Nat Biotechnol. 2019; 37: 852-857
- DADA2: high-resolution sample inference from Illumina amplicon data.Nat Methods. 2016; 13 (Accessed January 2020): 581-583
Hannon GJ. FASTX Toolkit. 2010. http://hannonlabcshledu/fastx_toolkit/indexhtml.
- MAFFT: a novel method for rapid multiple sequence alignment based on fast Fourier transform.Nucleic Acids Res. 2002; 30: 3059-3066
- Optimizing taxonomic classification of marker-gene amplicon sequences with QIIME 2s q2-feature-classifier plugin.Microbiome. 2018; 6: 90
- The SILVA ribosomal RNA gene database project: improved data processing and web-based tools.Nucleic Acids Res. 2013; 41: D590-D596
- Moderated estimation of fold change and dispersion for RNA-seq data with DESeq2.Genome Biol. 2014; 15: 550
- The role of the phylogenetic diversity measure, PD, in bio-informatics: getting the definition right.Evol Bioinform Online. 2007; 2: 277-283
- Picante: R tools for integrating phylogenies and ecology.Bioinformatics. 2010; 26: 1463-1464
- Species-diversity and pattern-diversity in the study of ecological succession.J Theor Biol. 1966; 10: 370-383
Lahti L. Microbiome R Package. 2019. Available at: https://microbiomegithubio/. Accessed January 2020.
- The mathematical theory of communication. 1963.MD Comput. 1997; 14: 306-317
Jea O. Vegan: community ecology package. 2019. Available at: https://cranr-projectorg/web/packages/vegan/indexhtml. Accessed January 2020.
- phyloseq: an R package for reproducible interactive analysis and graphics of microbiome census data.PLoS One. 2013; 8: e61217
- A method of establishing groups of equal amplitude in plant sociology based on similarity of species content.Kongelige Danske Videnskabernes Selsk. 1948; (5.1–34:4-7)
- Nouvelles recherches sur la distribution florale.Bulletin de la Société vaudoise des Sciences Naturelles. 1908; 44: 223-270
- UniFrac: a new phylogenetic method for comparing microbial communities.Appl Environ Microbiol. 2005; 71: 8228-8235
- Quantitative and qualitative beta diversity measures lead to different insights into factors that structure microbial communities.Appl Environ Microbiol. 2007; 73: 1576-1585
- RAxML version 8: a tool for phylogenetic analysis and post-analysis of large phylogenies.Bioinformatics. 2014; 30: 1312-1313
- Bacterial attachment to the chorioamniotic membranes.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 1984; 148: 915-928
- Microbial communities in placentas from term normal pregnancy exhibit spatially variable profiles.Sci Rep. 2017; 7: 11200
- Progress in pathogenesis and management of clinical intraamniotic infection.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 1991; 164: 1317-1326
- Evidence that intra-amniotic infections are often the result of an ascending invasion - a molecular microbiological study.J Perinat Med. 2019; 47: 915-931
- The changing landscape of the vaginal microbiome.Clin Lab Med. 2014; 34: 747-761
- Diagnosis and management of clinical chorioamnionitis.Clin Perinatol. 2010; 37: 339-354
- Committee Opinion No. 712: intrapartum management of intraamniotic infection.Obstet Gynecol. 2017; 130: e95-101
The authors report no conflict of interest.
This research was supported by the Duke University Charles B. Hammond Research Fund. The sponsor had no involvement in study design; collection, analysis, or interpretation of data; writing of the report; or the decision to submit the article for publication.
Cite this article as: Sayres LC, Younge NE, Rikard B, et al. The gestational membrane microbiome in the presence or absence of intraamniotic infection. Am J Obstet Gynecol MFM 2022;XX:x.ex–x.ex.