Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Obstetrics & Gynecology MFM
Tikkanen R, Gunja MZ, Fitzgerald M, Zephyrin L. Maternal mortality and maternity care in the United States compared to 10 other developed countries. The Commonwealth Fund. 2020. Available at: https://www.commonwealthfund.org/publications/issue-briefs/2020/nov/maternal-mortality-maternity-care-us-compared-10-countries. Accessed 12/1/2021.
- Quality of care and disparities in obstetrics.Obstet Gynecol Clin North Am. 2017; 44: 13-25
- Maternal mortality: a US public health crisis.Am J Public Health. 2020; 110: 462-464
- Getting to the heart of America's maternal mortality crisis.Health Aff (Millwood). 2021; 40: 1824-1829
- Obstetric safety and quality.Obstet Gynecol. 2015; 126: 196-206
The Leapfrog Group. Healthy moms, healthy babies: hospital performance on leapfrog's maternity care standards based on results of the 2020 leapfrog hospital survey. 2021. Available at: https://www.leapfroggroup.org/sites/default/files/Files/2021%20Maternity%20Report_Final_1.pdf. Accessed 12/31/21.
- hospital performance methodologies: a scoping review to identify opportunities for crossing the quality chasm.BMC Health Serv Res. 2020; 20: 640
- Reduction in racial disparities in severe maternal morbidity from hemorrhage in a large-scale quality improvement collaborative.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2020; 223 (123.e1-14)
- Hospital quality improvement interventions, statewide policy initiatives, and rates of cesarean delivery for nulliparous, term, singleton, vertex births in California.JAMA. 2021; 325: 1631-1639
- A new effort to address racial and ethnic disparities in care through quality measurement.Health Affairs, 2021 (Available at)Accessed 12/1/2021)
- Adoption of social determinants of health EHR tools by community health centers.Ann Fam Med. 2018; 16: 399-407
- American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists' Committee on Practice Bulletins—Obstetrics. ACOG Practice Bulletin No. 196: thromboembolism in pregnancy.Obstet Gynecol. 2018; (e1–17): 132
- Venous thromboembolism incidence among patients recommended for pharmacologic thromboembolism prophylaxis after cesarean delivery in selected guidelines.J Thromb Haemost. 2021; 19: 830-838
Hoyert DL. Maternal mortality rates in the United States, 2019. NCHS Health E-Stats. 2021. Available at: https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/hestat/maternal-mortality-2021/E-Stat-Maternal-Mortality-Rates-H.pdf. Accessed 12/1/21.
- Prevalence of acute pulmonary embolism among patients in a general hospital and at autopsy.Chest. 1995; 108: 978-981
- The moral imperative to approve pregnant women's participation in randomized clinical trials for pregnancy and newborn complications.Philos Ethics Humanit Med. 2019; 14: 11
HCUP databases. Healthcare Cost and Utilization Project (HCUP). Available at: https://www.hcup-us.ahrq.gov/tech_assist/citations.jsp#. Rockville, MD: Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality.
- Measuring childbirth outcomes using administrative and birth certificate data.Anesthesiology. 2019; 131: 238-253
- Finding pure and simple truths with administrative data.JAMA. 2012; 307: 1433-1435
- Severe maternal morbidity: a comparison of definitions and data sources.Am J Epidemiol. 2021; 190: 1890-1897
- Machine learning and statistical models to predict postpartum hemorrhage.Obstet Gynecol. 2020; 135: 935-944
- A narrative review on the validity of electronic health record-based research in epidemiology.BMC Med Res Methodol. 2021; 21: 234
- Association between aspirin use during pregnancy and cardiovascular risk factors 2-7 years after delivery: the nuMoM2b Heart Health Study.Pregnancy Hypertens. 2022; 28: 28-34
American Heart Association. Get With The Guidelines pricing sheet. 2020. Available at: https://www.stroke.org/-/media/files/affiliates/swa/qi-files/2020-get-with-the-guidelines-pricing-sheet.pdf?la=en. Accessed 12/31/21.
- Risks of intracranial hemorrhage among patients with acute ischemic stroke receiving warfarin and treated with intravenous tissue plasminogen activator.JAMA. 2012; 307: 2600-2608
- Comparing inverse probability of treatment weighting and instrumental variable methods for the evaluation of adenosine diphosphate receptor inhibitors after percutaneous coronary intervention.JAMA Cardiol. 2016; 1: 655-665
- A registry-based randomized trial comparing radial and femoral approaches in women undergoing percutaneous coronary intervention: the SAFE-PCI for Women (Study of Access Site for Enhancement of PCI for Women) trial.JACC Cardiovasc Interv. 2014; 7: 857-867
- Measuring transplant center performance: the goals are not controversial but the methods and consequences can be.Curr Transplant Rep. 2017; 4: 52-58
- mRNA Covid-19 vaccines in pregnant women.N Engl J Med. 2021; 384: 2342-2343
- Clinical presentation of coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) in pregnant and recently pregnant people.Obstet Gynecol. 2020; 136: 1117-1125
- Executive summary of the reVITALize initiative: standardizing obstetric data definitions.Obstet Gynecol. 2014; 124: 150-153
J.J.F. and L.M.K. contributed equally to this manuscript.
This project was supported by the National Center for Advancing Translational Sciences and the Eunice Kennedy Shriver National Institute of Child Health and Human Development, National Institutes of Health (NIH), through grant award numbers UL1TR002489, UL1TR001117, 1KL2TR002554, TL1TR002555, and K12HD103083. The content of this project is solely the responsibility of the authors and does not necessarily represent the official views of the NIH. M.L.M. was additionally supported by the Foundation for Anesthesia Education and Research.