Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Obstetrics & Gynecology MFM
- Prevalence and changes in preexisting diabetes and gestational diabetes among women who had a live birth - United States, 2012-2016.MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2018; 67: 1201-1207
- Gestational diabetes in the United States: temporal changes in prevalence rates between 1979 and 2010.BJOG. 2017; 124: 804-813
- Trends and characteristics in gestational diabetes: United States, 2016-2020.Natl Vital Stat Rep. 2022; 71: 1-15
- A multicenter, randomized trial of treatment for mild gestational diabetes.N Engl J Med. 2009; 361: 1339-1348
- Association of adverse pregnancy outcomes with glyburide vs insulin in women with gestational diabetes.JAMA Pediatr. 2015; 169: 452-458
- The absolute and relative risk of type 2 diabetes after gestational diabetes: a systematic review and meta-analysis of 129 studies.Diabetes Res Clin Pract. 2021; 171108625
- Hyperglycemia and adverse pregnancy outcome follow-up study (HAPO FUS): maternal gestational diabetes mellitus and childhood glucose metabolism.Diabetes Care. 2019; 42: 372-380
- Maternal diabetes during pregnancy and early onset of cardiovascular disease in offspring: population based cohort study with 40 years of follow-up.BMJ. 2019; 367: l6398
- Trends in gestational diabetes at first live birth by race and ethnicity in the US, 2011-2019.JAMA. 2021; 326: 660-669
- Risk of adverse pregnancy outcomes among pregnant individuals with gestational diabetes by race and ethnicity in the United States, 2014-2020.JAMA. 2022; 327: 1356-1367
- Age-period-cohort models for the Lexis diagram.Stat Med. 2007; 26: 3018-3045
- Analysing the temporal effects of age, period and cohort.Stat Methods Med Res. 1992; 1: 317-337
- Models for temporal variation in cancer rates. II: age-period-cohort models.Stat Med. 1987; 6: 469-481
- Maternal age and the risk of gestational diabetes mellitus: a systematic review and meta-analysis of over 120 million participants.Diabetes Res Clin Pract. 2020; 162108044
- Hyperglycemia and adverse pregnancy outcomes.N Engl J Med. 2008; 358: 1991-2002
- A pragmatic, randomized clinical trial of gestational diabetes screening.N Engl J Med. 2021; 384: 895-904
- Pre-eclampsia rates in the United States, 1980-2010: age-period-cohort analysis.BMJ. 2013; 347: f6564
- Maternal obesity and risk of gestational diabetes mellitus.Diabetes Care. 2007; 30: 2070-2076
- Increases in prepregnancy obesity: United States, 2016-2019.NCHS Data Brief. 2020; : 1-8
National Center for Vital Statistics. Guide to completing the facility worksheets for the certificate of live birth and report of fetal death. 2019. Available at:https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/dvs/GuidetoCompleteFacilityWks.pdf. Accessed June 1, 2022.
- The effects of race and ethnicity on the risk of large-for-gestational-age newborns in women without gestational diabetes by prepregnancy body mass index categories.Matern Child Health J. 2017; 21: 1643-1654
- United States Census 2000 population with bridged race categories.Vital Health Stat 2. 2003; 135: 1-55
- Healthy People 2010 criteria for data suppression.Healthy People 2010 Stat Notes. 2002; (PMID: 12117004): 1-12
- A web tool for age-period-cohort analysis of cancer incidence and mortality rates.Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev. 2014; 23: 2296-2302
- Mean age of mothers is on the rise: United States, 2000-2014.NCHS Data Brief. 2016; 232: 1-8
- Trends in gestational diabetes among hospital deliveries in 19 U.S. States, 2000-2010.Am J Prev Med. 2015; 49: 12-19
- A cohort study of trends in the prevalence of pregestational diabetes in pregnancy recorded in UK general practice between 1995 and 2012.BMJ Open. 2016; 6e009494
- Trends in prepregnancy obesity and association with adverse pregnancy outcomes in the United States, 2013 to 2018.J Am Heart Assoc. 2021; 10e020717
- Mapping the prevalence of physical inactivity in U.S. States, 1984-2015.PLoS One. 2016; 11e0168175
- Maternal diet quality during pregnancy is associated with biomarkers of metabolic risk among male offspring.Diabetologia. 2021; 64: 2478-2490
- Gestational diabetes and overweight/obesity: analysis of nulliparous women in the U.S., 2011-2019.Am J Prev Med. 2021; 61: 863-871
- Obesity and pregnancy: mechanisms of short term and long term adverse consequences for mother and child.BMJ. 2017; 8: j1
- Social determinants of health and diabetes: a scientific review.Diabetes Care. 2020; 44: 258-279
- Influence of acculturation on risk for gestational diabetes among Asian women.Prev Chronic Dis. 2019; 16: E158
- Progression to type 2 diabetes in women with a known history of gestational diabetes: systematic review and meta-analysis.BMJ. 2020; 369: m1361
- Association of history of gestational diabetes with long-term cardiovascular disease risk in a large prospective cohort of US women.JAMA Intern Med. 2017; 177: 1735-1742
- The prevalence of gestational diabetes mellitus recurrence–effect of ethnicity and parity: a metaanalysis.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2015; 213: 310-317
- Comparison of birth certificates and hospital-based birth data on pregnancy complications in los Angeles and Orange County, California.BMC Pregnancy Childbirth. 2016; 16: 93
- Reviewing performance of birth certificate and hospital discharge data to identify births complicated by maternal diabetes.Matern Child Health J. 2009; 13: 660-666
- Assessing the quality of medical and health data from the 2003 birth certificate revision: results from New York City.Natl Vital Stat Rep. 2019; 68: 1-20
- Changing patterns in medication prescription for gestational diabetes during a time of guideline change in the USA: a cross-sectional study.BJOG. 2022; 129: 473-483
The authors report no conflict of interest.
K.K.V. reports receiving support from the Care Innovation and Community Improvement Program at The Ohio State University and from the Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality under grant number R01HS028822. S.S.K. reports receiving funding from the National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute of the National Institutes of Health under grant number HL161514.
Cite this article as: Venkatesh KK, Harrington K, Cameron NA, et al. Trends in gestational diabetes mellitus among nulliparous pregnant individuals with singleton live births in the United States between 2011 and 2019: an age-period-cohort analysis. Am J Obstet Gynecol MFM 2022;XX:x.ex–x.ex.