Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Obstetrics & Gynecology MFM
World Health Organization. Preterm birth. 2018. Available at: https://www.who.int/en/news-room/fact-sheets/detail/preterm-birth. Accessed February 3, 2021.
- Association between temporal changes in neonatal mortality and spontaneous and clinician-initiated deliveries in the United States, 2006-2013.JAMA Pediatr. 2018; 172: 949-957
- The role of routine cervical length screening in selected high- and low-risk women for preterm birth prevention.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2016; 215 (Society for Maternal-Fetal Medicine (SMFM). Electronic address: [email protected]): B2-B7
- Cervical etiology of spontaneous preterm birth.Semin Fetal Neonatal Med. 2016; 21: 106-112
- Overview of microRNA biogenesis, mechanisms of actions, and circulation.Front Endocrinol. 2018; 9: 402
- Characterization of microRNAs in serum: a novel class of biomarkers for diagnosis of cancer and other diseases.Cell Res. 2008; 18: 997-1006
- Circulating microRNAs as stable blood-based markers for cancer detection.Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2008; 105: 10513-10518
- microRNA expression in the cervix during pregnancy is associated with length of gestation.Epigenetics. 2015; 10: 221-228
- Distinct cervical microRNA profiles are present in women destined to have a preterm birth.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2014; 210 (e1-11): 221
- American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists’ Committee on Obstetric Practice, Society for Maternal-Fetal Medicine. Medically indicated late-preterm and early-term deliveries: ACOG Committee Opinion.Obstet Gynecol. 2021; 138: e35-e39
- Pregnancy-associated changes in cervical noncoding RNA.Epigenomics. 2020; 12: 1013-1025
- Altered miRNA expression in the cervix during pregnancy associated with lead and mercury exposure.Epigenomics. 2015; 7: 885-896
- Bacterial and cytokine mixtures predict the length of gestation and are associated with miRNA expression in the cervix.Epigenomics. 2017; 9: 33-45
- Benchmarking relief-based feature selection methods for bioinformatics data mining.J Biomed Inform. 2018; 85: 168-188
- Relief-based feature selection: introduction and review.J Biomed Inform. 2018; 85: 189-203
- miEAA: microRNA enrichment analysis and annotation.Nucleic Acids Res. 2016; 44 (W110-6)
- miEAA 2.0: integrating multi-species microRNA enrichment analysis and workflow management systems.Nucleic Acids Res. 2020; 48: W521-W528
- An overview of microRNAs: biology, functions, therapeutics, and analysis methods.J Cell Physiol. 2019; 234: 5451-5465
- Colonization of the cervicovaginal space with vaginalis leads to local inflammation and cervical remodeling in pregnant mice.PLoS One. 2018; 13e0191524
- Insight into the ecology of vaginal bacteria through integrative analyses of metagenomic and metatranscriptomic data.Genome Biol. 2022; 23: 66
- Comparative meta-RNA-seq of the vaginal microbiota and differential expression by Lactobacillus iners in health and dysbiosis.Microbiome. 2013; 1: 12
- Human cervicovaginal fluid biomarkers to predict term and preterm labor.Front Physiol. 2015; 6: 151
- Cervicovaginal fluid proteomic analysis to identify potential biomarkers for preterm birth.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2020; 222 (e1-13): 493
- Gene expression. MicroRNA control of protein expression noise.Science. 2015; 348: 128-132
- MiRNAs confer phenotypic robustness to gene networks by suppressing biological noise.Nat Commun. 2013; 4: 2364
- Exosome-mediated transfer of mRNAs and microRNAs is a novel mechanism of genetic exchange between cells.Nat Cell Biol. 2007; 9: 654-659
- Atheroprotective communication between endothelial cells and smooth muscle cells through miRNAs.Nat Cell Biol. 2012; 14: 249-256
- Adipose-derived circulating miRNAs regulate gene expression in other tissues.Nature. 2017; 542: 450-455
- Molecular pathways: microRNAs, cancer cells, and microenvironment.Clin Cancer Res. 2014; 20: 6247-6253
- MicroRNA control of signal transduction.Nat Rev Mol Cell Biol. 2010; 11: 252-263
- MicroRNAs in cancer: biomarkers, functions and therapy.Trends Mol Med. 2014; 20: 460-469
- MicroRNA as biomarkers and diagnostics.J Cell Physiol. 2016; 231: 25-30
- MicroRNAs: biomarkers, diagnostics, and therapeutics.Methods Mol Biol. 2017; 1617: 57-67
- MicroRNA responses to cellular stress.Cancer Res. 2006; 66: 10843-10848
- Increased microRNA activity in human cancers.PLoS One. 2009; 4: e6045
- A guide to miRNAs in inflammation and innate immune responses.FEBS Journal. 2018; 285: 3695-3716
- Inflammatory proteins in the amniotic fluid, plasma, and cervicovaginal fluid for the prediction of intra-amniotic infection/inflammation and imminent preterm birth in preterm labor.Am J Perinatol. 2022; 39: 766-775
- Proteomic analysis of human cervicovaginal fluid collected before preterm premature rupture of the fetal membranes.Reproduction. 2013; 145: 137-147
- Predicting risk of spontaneous preterm delivery in women with a singleton pregnancy.Paediatr Perinat Epidemiol. 2014; 28: 11-22
- PredictPTB: an interpretable preterm birth prediction model using attention-based recurrent neural networks.BioData Min. 2022; 15: 6
- miR-143 and miR-145 disrupt the cervical epithelial barrier through dysregulation of cell adhesion, apoptosis and proliferation.Sci Rep. 2017; 7: 3020
- Microbial supernatants from Mobiluncus mulieris, a bacteria strongly associated with spontaneous preterm birth, disrupts the cervical epithelial barrier through inflammatory and miRNA mediated mechanisms.Anaerobe. 2020; 61102127
- The random subspace method for constructing decision forests.IEEE Trans Pattern Anal Mach Intell. 1998; 20: 832-844
- XGBoost: A scalable tree boosting system.(presented)in: at: Proceedings of the 22nd ACM SIGKDD International Conference on Knowledge Discovery and Data Mining. San Francisco, CA2016
H.H.B and K.D.G. share first authorship.
The authors report no conflict of interest.
The Spontaneous Prematurity and Epigenetics of the Cervix study was funded by the Charles H. Hood Foundation with additional support from the Chrissy and Jesse Brown Family. This work was conducted with support from Harvard Catalyst/Harvard Clinical and Translational Science Center (National Center for Advancing Translational Sciences, National Institutes of Health Award UL1 TR002541) and financial contributions from Harvard University and its affiliated academic healthcare centers. H.H.B. was supported by NIH K23 ES022242. A.Y.C. was supported by the Reproductive Scientist Development Program from the Eunice Kennedy Shriver National Institute of Child Health and Human Development and the Burroughs Wellcome Fund (HD000849).
Cite this article as: Burris HH, Gerson KD, Woodward A, et al. Cervical microRNA expression and spontaneous preterm birth. Am J Obstet Gynecol MFM 2022;XX:x.ex-x.ex.