Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Obstetrics & Gynecology MFM
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (US). Causes of pregnancy-related DeathsPregnancy mortality surveillance system, vol. 2022;2022. https://www.cdc.gov/reproductivehealth/maternal-mortality/pregnancy-mortality-surveillance-system.htm.
- Epidemiology of venous thromboembolism (VTE) associated with pregnancy.Birth Defects Res C Embryo Today. 2015; 105: 167-184
- Fatality rates and use of systemic thrombolysis in pregnant women with pulmonary embolism.ESC Heart Fail. 2020; 7: 2365-2372
- Pulmonary embolism and pregnancy-challenges in diagnostic and therapeutic decisions in high-risk patients.Front Cardiovasc Med. 2022; 9856594
- Trends in mortality related to pulmonary embolism in the European Region, 2000-15: analysis of vital registration data from the WHO Mortality Database.Lancet Respir Med. 2020; 8: 277-287
- Age-sex specific pulmonary embolism-related mortality in the USA and Canada, 2000-18: an analysis of the WHO Mortality Database and of the CDC Multiple Cause of Death database.Lancet Respir Med. 2021; 9: 33-42
- Mortality multiple cause-of-death.National Center for Health Statistics, 2022
- Using multiple cause-of-death data to investigate associations and causality between conditions listed on the death certificate.Am J Epidemiol. 2007; 166: 104-108
World Health O. The WHO application of ICD-10 to deaths during pregnancy, childbirth and puerperium: ICD-MM. Geneva: World Health Organization; 66p.
- Evaluation of the pregnancy status checkbox on the identification of maternal deaths.Natl Vital Stat Rep. 2020; 69: 1-25
- The impact of the pregnancy checkbox and misclassification on maternal mortality trends in the United States, 1999-2017.Vital Health Stat 3. 2020; : 1-61
- Factors underlying the temporal increase in maternal mortality in the United States.Obstet Gynecol. 2017; 129: 91-100
- Maternal mortality in the United States: changes in coding, Publication, and Data Release, 2018.Natl Vital Stat Rep. 2020; 69: 1-18
- Definition of pulmonary embolism-related death and classification of the cause of death in venous thromboembolism studies: communication from the SSC of the ISTH.J Thromb Haemost. 2020; 18: 1495-1500
Birth data, vol. 2022. National Center for Health Statistics - National Vital Statistics System; 2003–2020. https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nvss/births.htm.
- Guidelines for Accurate and Transparent Health Estimates Reporting: the GATHER statement.Lancet. 2016; 388: e19-e23
- Maternal mortality in the United States: recent trends, current status, and future considerations.Obstet Gynecol. 2021; 137: 763-771
- Acute pulmonary embolism during pregnancy and puerperium: National trends and in-hospital outcomes.Mayo Clin Proc. 2021; 96: 2102-2113
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Adult obesity facts. 2022. Available at: https://www.cdc.gov/obesity/data/adult.html. Accessed June 15, 2022.
- Trends in the incidence of new-onset hypertensive disorders of pregnancy among rural and urban areas in the United States, 2007 to 2019.J Am Heart Assoc. 2022; 11e023791
- Trends in smoking during pregnancy by socioeconomic characteristics in the United States, 2010-2017.BMC Pregnancy Childbirth. 2020; 20: 52
- American Society of Hematology 2018 guidelines for management of venous thromboembolism: venous thromboembolism in the context of pregnancy.Blood Adv. 2018; 2: 3317-3359
- Association between black race, clinical severity, and management of acute pulmonary embolism: a retrospective cohort study.J Am Heart Assoc. 2021; 10e021818
- Trends in venous thromboembolism and associated risk factors during delivery hospitalizations from 2000 to 2018.Obstet Gynecol. 2022; 139: 223-234
S.B. received lecture/consultancy fees from Bayer HealthCare, Concept Medical, BTG Pharmaceuticals, INARI, Boston Scientific, and LEO Pharma; institutional grants from Boston Scientific, Bentley, Bayer HealthCare, INARI, Medtronic, Concept Medical, Bard, and Sanofi; and economic support for travel and congress costs from Daiichi Sankyo, BTG Pharmaceuticals, and Bayer HealthCare, outside the submitted work. L.H. received lecture/consultancy fees from Merck Sharp & Dohme and Actelion, outside the submitted work. G.G. reports lecture/consultancy fees from Bayer HealthCare, Pfizer, and LEO Pharma. S.V.K. reports institutional grants and personal lecture/advisory fees from Bayer AG, Daiichi Sankyo, and Boston Scientific; institutional grants from Inari Medical; and personal lecture/advisory fees from Merck Sharp & Dohme and Bristol Myers Squibb/Pfizer. The remaining authors report no conflict of interest.
The authors declare no funding for this study.
Cite this article as: Farmakis IT, Barco S, Hobohm L, et al. Maternal mortality related to pulmonary embolism in the United States, 2003–2020. Am J Obstet Gynecol MFM 2022;XX:x.ex–x.ex.