Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Obstetrics & Gynecology MFM
- Epidural analgesia in active management of labor.Acta Obstet Gynecol Scand. 1994; 73: 235-239
- Water immersion and the effect on labor.J Nurse Midwifery. 1993; 38: 336-342
- Immersion in water during labor and birth: the need for evaluation.Birth. 1993; 20: 79-85
- Labour and birth in water in England and Wales.BMJ. 1995; 310: 837
- Neonatal outcomes after delivery in water.Obstet Gynecol. 2021; 138: 622-626
- Birth under water–to breathe or not to breathe.Br J Obstet Gynaecol. 1996; 103: 202-208
- Birth under water–to breathe or not to breathe.Br J Obstet Gynaecol. 1997; 104: 121
- Maternal and neonatal outcomes in hospital-based deliveries with water immersion.Obstet Gynecol. 2020; 136: 707-715
Care Quality Commission. Maternity survey 2021. 2021. Available at: https://www.cqc.org.uk/publications/surveys/maternity-survey-2021. Accessed March 17, 2022.
- What You Need to Know about Water Birth.the New York Times. The New York Times. 2020 (Available at:)Accessed March 17, 2022)
- Immersion in water during labour and birth.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2018; 5CD000111
- Immersion in water in pregnancy, labour and birth.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2000; CD000111
- The effect of waterbirth on neonatal mortality and morbidity: a systematic review and meta-analysis.JBI Database System Rev Implement Rep. 2015; 13: 180-231
- Experience of water birth delivery in Iran.Arch Iran Med. 2009; 12: 468-471
- Comparison between water birth and land birth in terms of fetal and neonatal outcomes.Iran J Neonatol IJN. 2014; 5 ([abstract]): 4-5
- The effects of delivery in water on duration of delivery and pain compared with normal delivery.Pak J Med Sci. 2010; 26: 551-555
- Perinatal mortality and morbidity among babies delivered in water: surveillance study and postal survey.BMJ. 1999; 319: 483-487
- Waterbirth fundamentals for clinicians.J Midwifery Womens Health. 2014; 59: 350-354
- Waterbirth: current knowledge and medico-legal issues.Acta Biomed. 2022; 93e2022077
- A pilot study for a randomised controlled trial of waterbirth versus land birth.BJOG. 2004; 111: 537-545
- The decision-making experience of mothers selecting waterbirth.J Nurs Res. 2003; 11: 261-268
- Maternal and neonatal outcomes following waterbirth: a cohort study of 17 530 waterbirths and 17 530 propensity score-matched land births.BJOG. 2022; 129: 950-958
The authors report no conflict of interest.
This study received financial support from South African Medical Research Council, Rand Afrikaans University, Human Sciences Research Council, and the National Florence Nightingale Committee of South Africa.
The study was conducted in Johannesburg, Gauteng, South Africa.
Previous presentation information: This study was presented at the 14th Conference on Priorities in Perinatal Care in South Africa, South Africa, March 7-10, as well as at the 15th Conference on Priorities in Perinatal Care in South Africa, South Africa, March 5-8.
Clinical trial data: This trial was not registered, as it was started in 1994.
Data sharing: The authors will share the original thesis on reasonable request.
Cite this article as: Nikodem VC, Edwards SE, Krzyzanski AM, et al. Immersion in water during the second stage of labor: a randomized controlled trial. Am J Obstet Gynecol MFM 2022;XX:x.ex–x.ex.