Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Obstetrics & Gynecology MFM
- ACOG Practice Bulletin No. 197: inherited thrombophilias in pregnancy.Obstet Gynecol. 2018; 132: e18-e34
- Trends in the incidence of venous thromboembolism during pregnancy or postpartum: a 30-year population-based study.Ann Intern Med. 2005; 143: 697-706
- Pregnancy, the postpartum period and prothrombotic defects: risk of venous thrombosis in the MEGA study.J Thromb Haemost. 2008; 6: 632-637
- Incidence and risk factors of venous thromboembolism during postpartum period: a population-based cohort-study.Acta Obstet Gynecol Scand. 2017; 96: 852-861
- Venous thromboembolism in pregnancy and the puerperium: incidence and additional risk factors from a London perinatal database.BJOG. 2001; 108: 56-60
- American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists' Committee on Practice Bulletins—Obstetrics. ACOG Practice Bulletin No. 196: thromboembolism in pregnancy.Obstet Gynecol. 2018; 132: e1-e17
- Pregnancy-related mortality in the United States, 2011-2013.Obstet Gynecol. 2017; 130: 366-373
- Venous thromboembolism during pregnancy and the postpartum period: incidence, risk factors, and mortality.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2006; 194: 1311-1315
- Epidemiology of pregnancy-associated venous thromboembolism: a population-based study in Canada.J Obstet Gynaecol Can. 2009; 31: 611-620
Lazariu V, Kacica M. New York State maternal mortality review report 2012-2013. New York State maternal mortality review report. New York State Department of Health Division of Family Health; 2017.
- VTE, thrombophilia, antithrombotic therapy, and pregnancy: antithrombotic therapy and prevention of thrombosis, 9th ed: American College of Chest Physicians Evidence-Based Clinical Practice Guidelines.Chest. 2012; 141: e691S-e6736
- Temporary increase in the risk for recurrence during pregnancy in women with a history of venous thromboembolism.Blood. 2002; 100: 1060-1062
- Electronic address: [email protected], Pacheco LD, Saade G, Metz TD. Society for Maternal-Fetal Medicine Consult Series #51: thromboembolism prophylaxis for cesarean delivery.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2020; 223: B11-B17
- Thrombosis and embolism in pregnancy and the puerperium, reducing the risk: what proportion of patients reach the threshold for thromboprophylaxis?.Obstet Med. 2011 Mar; 4(1): 12-14
American College of, O. Safe Motherhood Initiative; Venous Thromboembolism. 2020. https://www.acog.org/community/districts-and-sections/district-ii/programs-and-resources/safe-motherhood-initiative
- Evaluation of a risk-stratified, heparin-based, obstetric thromboprophylaxis protocol.Obstet Gynecol. 2021; 138: 530-538
- Prophylaxis for venous thromboembolic disease in pregnancy and the early postnatal period.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2014; 2CD001689
- Pharmacologic thromboprophylaxis in obstetrics: broader use demands better data.Obstet Gynecol. 2016; 128: 681-684
- Venous thromboembolism bundle: risk assessment and prophylaxis for obstetric patients.Semin Perinatol. 2016; 40: 87-92
- National partnership for maternal safety: consensus bundle on venous thromboembolism.Obstet Gynecol. 2016; 128: 688-698
- Thrombotic risk during pregnancy: a population study.Obstet Gynecol. 1999; 94: 595-599
- Rate of wound complications with enoxaparin use among women at high risk for postpartum thrombosis.Obstet Gynecol. 2011; 117: 119-124
- Association between occurrence of a postoperative complication and readmission: implications for quality improvement and cost savings.Ann Surg. 2013; 258: 10-18
- Timing and cost of wound complications after colorectal resection.Dis Colon Rectum. 2021; 64: 1551-1558
- Hospital costs following surgical complications: a value-driven outcomes analysis of cost savings due to complication Prevention.Ann Surg. 2022; 275: e375-e381
- Cost-effectiveness of thromboprophylaxis with intermittent pneumatic compression at cesarean delivery.Obstet Gynecol. 2006; 108: 535-540
- Cost-effectiveness of prophylactic low molecular weight heparin in pregnant women with a prior history of venous thromboembolism.Am J Med. 2005; 118: 503-514
- Postpartum venous thromboembolism prophylaxis may cause more harm than benefit: a critical analysis of international guidelines through an evidence-based lens.BJOG. 2018; 125: 1109-1116
- Adjunctive azithromycin prophylaxis for cesarean delivery.N Engl J Med. 2016; 375: 1231-1241
The authors report no conflict of interest.
This study was presented as a poster (794) at the 41st annual meeting of the Society for Maternal-Fetal Medicine, held virtually, January 25-30, 2021.
Cite this article as: Page MR, Cozzi GD, Blanchard CT, et al. Venous thromboembolism and adverse outcomes in highest thromboembolism risk patients compared to those at lower risk. Am J Obstet Gynecol MFM 2022;XX:x.ex–x.ex.