Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Obstetrics & Gynecology MFM
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Severe maternal morbidity in the United States. 2021. Available at: https://www.cdc.gov/reproductivehealth/maternalinfanthealth/severematernalmorbidity.html. Accessed July 20, 2022
- Racial and ethnic disparities in maternal morbidity and obstetric care.Obstet Gynecol. 2015; 125: 1460-1467
- Race and ethnicity, medical insurance, and within-hospital severe maternal morbidity disparities.Obstet Gynecol. 2020; 135: 285-293
- Determinants of severe maternal morbidity and its racial/ethnic disparities in New York City, 2008-2012.Matern Child Health J. 2019; 23: 346-355
- Racial/ethnic disparities in pregnancy-related deaths - United States, 2007-2016.MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2019; 68: 762-765
- Trends and social inequalities in maternal mortality in the United States, 1969-2018.Int J MCH AIDS. 2021; 10: 29-42
- Racial and ethnic disparities in severe maternal morbidity prevalence and trends.Ann Epidemiol. 2019; 33: 30-36
- Racial and ethnic disparities in fetal deaths - United States, 2015-2017.MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2020; 69: 1277-1282
- Fetal mortality: United States, 2019.Natl Vital Stat Rep. 2021; 70: 1-20
- Prepregnancy risk factors for antepartum stillbirth in the United States.Obstet Gynecol. 2010; 116: 1119-1126
- Racial disparities in stillbirth risk across gestation in the United States.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2009; 201 (469.e1–8)
- Maternal complications associated with stillbirth delivery: a cross-sectional analysis.J Obstet Gynaecol. 2016; 36: 208-212
- Severe maternal morbidity among stillbirth and live birth deliveries in California.Obstet Gynecol. 2019; 134: 310-317
- Association between stillbirth at 23 weeks of gestation or greater and severe maternal morbidity.Obstet Gynecol. 2019; 134: 964-973
- Associations between comorbidities and severe maternal morbidity.Obstet Gynecol. 2020; 136: 892-901
- Black-white differences in severe maternal morbidity and site of care.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2016; 214 (122.e1–7)
- Site of delivery contribution to black-white severe maternal morbidity disparity.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2016; 215: 143-152
- Severe maternal morbidity among Hispanic women in New York City: investigation of health disparities.Obstet Gynecol. 2017; 129: 285-294
- Social determinants of pregnancy-related mortality and morbidity in the United States: a systematic review.Obstet Gynecol. 2020; 135: 896-915
- Racial residential segregation and racial disparities in stillbirth in the United States.Health Place. 2018; 51: 208-216
California Department of Health Care Access and Information (HCAI). Linked birth files. Available at: https://hcai.ca.gov/data-and-reports/research-data-request-information/#linked-birth-files. Accessed November 26, 2021.
California Perinatal Quality Care Collaborative. Available at: https://www.cpqcc.org/. Accessed November 29, 2021.
American Hospital Association. AHA Annual Survey Database. Available at: https://www.ahadata.com/aha-annual-survey-database. Accessed November 29, 2021.
- Severe maternal morbidity among delivery and postpartum hospitalizations in the United States.Obstet Gynecol. 2012; 120: 1029-1036
- An expanded obstetric comorbidity scoring system for predicting severe maternal morbidity.Obstet Gynecol. 2020; 136: 440-449
- A scoping review of severe maternal morbidity: describing risk factors and methodological approaches to inform population-based surveillance.Matern Health Neonatol Perinatol. 2021; 7: 3
- The moderator-mediator variable distinction in social psychological research: conceptual, strategic, and statistical considerations.J Pers Soc Psychol. 1986; 51: 1173-1182
- Maternal age-specific drivers of severe maternal morbidity.Am J Obstet Gynecol MFM. 2022; 4100529
- Contribution of prepregnancy obesity to racial and ethnic disparities in severe maternal morbidity.Obstet Gynecol. 2021; 137: 864-872
- Anemia in pregnancy: ACOG Practice Bulletin, Number 233.Obstet Gynecol. 2021; 138: e55-e64
- Association between race and hemoglobin at delivery or need for transfusion when using race-based definitions for treatment of antepartum anemia.Obstet Gynecol. 2021; 138: 108-110
- Rethinking race in medicine: ACOG removes a race-based cutoff for anemia in pregnancy.Health affairs blog. 2021; https://doi.org/10.1377/hblog20210816.198602
- Racial disparities in the rates of and indications for cesarean delivery in California: are they changing over time?.Am J Perinatol. 2021; ([Epub ahead of print])
- Intrauterine fetal demise and hemostatic failure: the fetal death syndrome.Clin Obstet Gynecol. 1985; 28: 24-31
- Impact of fetal maceration grade on risk of maternal disseminated intravascular coagulation after intrauterine fetal death - a retrospective cohort study.Sci Rep. 2018; 8: 12742
- Timing of hospital admission for stillbirth delivery on maternal and obstetric outcome: a retrospective cohort study.Sci Rep. 2021; 11: 18854
- An algorithm for the estimation of gestational age at the time of fetal death.Paediatr Perinat Epidemiol. 2013; 27: 145-157
- Prevalence of coagulation abnormalities associated with intrauterine fetal death.Can J Anaesth. 1996; 43: 1237-1243
- Management of stillbirth delivery.Semin Perinatol. 2015; 39: 501-504
- Maternal health after stillbirth: postpartum hospital readmission in California.Am J Perinatol. 2021; 38: e137-e145
The authors report no conflict of interest.
This study was supported by the Albert McKern Scholar Award from the Yale University Department of Obstetrics, Gynecology, and Reproductive Sciences.
Preliminary findings of this study were presented at the 41st Annual Pregnancy Meeting of the Society for Maternal-Fetal Medicine, held virtually, January 25–30, 2021.
Cite this article as: Hosier H, Xu X, Underwood K, et al. Racial and ethnic differences in severe maternal morbidity among singleton stillbirth deliveries. Am J Obstet Gynecol MFM 2022;XX:x.ex–x.ex.