Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Obstetrics & Gynecology MFM
- Assessment of incidence and factors associated with severe maternal morbidity after delivery discharge among women in the US.JAMA Netw Open. 2021; 4e2036148
- Population-based study of risk factors for severe maternal morbidity.Paediatr Perinat Epidemiol. 2012; 26: 506-514
- Society for Maternal-Fetal Medicine Consult Series #54: Assessing the risk of maternal morbidity and mortality.AJOG. 2021; 224: B2-B15https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ajog.2020.12.006
- Severe maternal morbidity among delivery and postpartum hospitalizations in the United States.Obstet Gynecol. 2012; 120: 1029-1036
- Trends and Disparities in Delivery Hospitalizations Involving Severe Maternal Morbidity, 2006-2015. HCUP Statistical Brief #243. September 2018.Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality, Rockville MD2018www.hcup-us.ahrq.gov/reports/statbriefs/sb243-Severe-Maternal-Morbidity-Delivery-Trends-Disparities.pdf
- Postpartum period: three distinct but continuous phases.J Prenat Med. 2010; 4: 22-25
- Reduction of severe maternal morbidity from hemorrhage using a state perinatal quality collaborative.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2017; 216 (298.e1–11)
- Performance of the obstetric early warning score in critically ill patients for the prediction of maternal death.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2017; 216 (58.e1–8)
- A comorbidity-based screening tool to predict severe maternal morbidity at the time of delivery.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2019; 221 (271.e1–10)
- An expanded obstetric comorbidity scoring system for predicting severe maternal morbidity.Obstet Gynecol. 2020; 136: 440-449
- The maternal early warning criteria: a proposal from the National partnership for maternal safety.Obstet Gynecol. 2014; 124: 782-786
- Use of maternal early warning trigger tool reduces maternal morbidity.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2016; 214 (527.e1–6)
- National partnership for maternal safety recommended maternal early warning criteria are associated with maternal morbidity.Anesth Analg. 2019; 129: 1621-1626
- Patient and hospital characteristics associated with severe maternal morbidity among postpartum readmissions.J Perinatol. 2019; 39: 1204-1212
- Racial and ethnic disparities in severe maternal morbidity: a multistate analysis, 2008-2010.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2014; 210 (435.e1–8)
- Reducing disparities in severe maternal morbidity and mortality.Clin Obstet Gynaecol. 2018; 61: 387-399
- Maternal outcomes by race during postpartum readmissions.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2019; 220 (484.e1–10)
- How race becomes biology: embodiment of social inequality.Am J Phys Anthropol. 2009; 139: 47-57
- How Implicit Bias Contributes to Racial Disparities in Maternal Morbidity and Mortality in the United States.J Womens Health (Larchmt). 2021; 30: 270-273
- Racial and ethnic disparities in severe maternal morbidity prevalence and trends.Ann Epidemiol. 2019; 33: 30-36
- Closing the black-white gap in birth outcomes: a life-course approach.Ethn Dis. 2010; 20: S2-62
- Severe maternal morbidity: screening and review.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2016; 215: B17-B22
The authors report no conflict of interest.
The authors have no financial support or funding to disclose.
This study was presented as poster abstract (numbers 1045 and 1046) at the 42nd annual meeting of the Society for Maternal-Fetal Medicine, held virtually, January 31–February 5, 2022.
Cite this article as: Martin J, Croteau A, Velasco-Gonzalez C, et al. Maternal early warning criteria predict postpartum severe maternal morbidity and mortality after delivery hospitalization discharge: a case–control study. Am J Obstet Gynecol MFM 2022;XX:x.ex–x.ex.