Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Obstetrics & Gynecology MFM
- Global causes of maternal death: a WHO systematic analysis.Lancet Glob Health. 2014; 2: e323-e333
- The continuum of maternal sepsis severity: incidence and risk factors in a population-based cohort study.PLoS One. 2013; 8: e67175
- Incidence and causes of maternal mortality in the USA.J Obstet Gynaecol Res. 2016; 42: 661-668
- Maternal outcomes associated with planned primary cesarean births compared with planned vaginal births.Obstet Gynecol. 2007; 109: 669-677
- Antibiotic prophylaxis versus no prophylaxis for preventing infection after cesarean section.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2014; 10CD007482
- ACOG Practice Bulletin No. 199: use of prophylactic antibiotics in labor and delivery.Obstet Gynecol. 2018; 132: e103-e119
- Antibiotic prophylaxis for operative vaginal delivery.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2017; 8CD004455
- ACOG Practice Bulletin No. 198: prevention and management of obstetric lacerations at vaginal delivery.Obstet Gynecol. 2018; 132: e87-102
- Puerperal sepsis: a preventable post-partum complication.Trop Doct. 1998; 28: 92-95
- Adjunctive azithromycin prophylaxis for Cesarean delivery.N Engl J Med. 2016; 375: 1231-1241
- Prophylactic antibiotics in the prevention of infection after operative vaginal delivery (ANODE): a multicentre randomised controlled trial.Lancet. 2019; 393: 2395-2403
- Evaluation of a risk-stratified, heparin-based, obstetric thromboprophylaxis protocol.Obstet Gynecol. 2021; 138: 530-538
- Operative vaginal birth: ACOG Practice Bulletin, Number 219.Obstet Gynecol. 2020; 135: e149-e159
- Trends in operative vaginal delivery, 2005-2013: a population-based study.BJOG. 2017; 124: 1365-1372
- Morbidity and mortality associated with forceps and vacuum delivery at outlet, low, and midpelvic station.J Obstet Gynaecol Can. 2019; 41: 327-337
- Episiotomy in vacuum-assisted delivery affects the risk of obstetric anal sphincter injury: a systematic review and meta-analysis.Eur J Obstet Gynecol Reprod Biol. 2016; 207: 193-199
- Operative vaginal delivery and post-partum infection.Best Pract Res Clin Obstet Gynaecol. 2019; 56: 93-106
- Antibiotic prophylaxis for third- and fourth-degree perineal tear during vaginal birth.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2014; 10CD005125
- Factors associated with wound complications in women with obstetric anal sphincter injuries (OASIS).Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2013; 208 (327.e1–6)
- Epidemiology of and surveillance for postpartum infections.Emerg Infect Dis. 2001; 7: 837-841
- Williams obstetrics.Mcgraw-hill, New York, NY2014
- Wound complications after obstetric anal sphincter injuries.Obstet Gynecol. 2015; 125: 1088-1093
- 118: antibiotics at time of operative vaginal delivery: a cost-effectiveness analysis.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2020; 222
The authors report no conflict of interest.
No funding was received for this work.
This study was presented as a poster at the 41st annual meeting of the Society for Maternal-Fetal Medicine, held virtually, January 25–30, 2021.
Cite this article as: Dunk SA, Owen J, Lu MY, et al. Operative vaginal delivery as an independent risk factor for maternal postpartum infectious morbidity. Am J Obstet Gynecol MFM 2022;XX:x.ex–x.ex.