Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Obstetrics & Gynecology MFM
- Vulnerability of pregnant women in clinical research.J Med Ethics. 2017; 43: 657-663
- Should pregnant women be included in phase IV clinical drug trials?.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2015; 213: 810-815
- Global, regional, and national levels and causes of maternal mortality during 1990-2013: a systematic analysis for the Global Burden of Disease Study 2013.Lancet. 2014; 384: 980-1004
- Perinatal mental health: a review of progress and challenges.World Psychiatry. 2020; 19: 313-327
CADTH database search filters [internet]. Available at: https://searchfilters.cadth.ca/. Accessed December 1, 2020.
- Research Electronic Data Capture (REDCap)–a metadata-driven methodology and workflow process for providing translational research informatics support.J Biomed Inform. 2009; 42: 377-381
- Exclusion of pregnant women from clinical trials during the coronavirus disease 2019 pandemic: a review of international registries.Am J Perinatol. 2020; 37: 792-799
- Exclusion of women of childbearing potential in clinical trials of type 2 diabetes medications: a review of protocol-based barriers to enrollment.Diabetes Care. 2016; 39: 1004-1009
- Exclusion of pregnant women from industry-sponsored clinical trials.Obstet Gynecol. 2013; 122: 1077-1081
Dhand NK, Khatkar MS. Statulator: an online statistical calculator. Sample size calculator for estimating a single proportion. 2014. Available at: http://statulator.com/SampleSize/ss1P.html. Accessed November 3, 2020.
- Early sedation with dexmedetomidine in ventilated critically ill patients and heterogeneity of treatment effect in the SPICE III randomised controlled trial.Intensive Care Med. 2021; 47: 455-466
- Effect of oral methylprednisolone on clinical outcomes in patients with IgA nephropathy: the TESTING randomized clinical trial.JAMA. 2017; 318: 432-442
- Effect of a strategy of initial laryngeal tube insertion vs endotracheal intubation on 72-hour survival in adults with out-of-hospital cardiac arrest: a randomized clinical trial.JAMA. 2018; 320: 769-778
- Effect of granulocyte-macrophage colony-stimulating factor with or without supervised exercise on walking performance in patients with peripheral artery disease: the PROPEL randomized clinical trial.JAMA. 2017; 318: 2089-2098
- KIT inhibition by imatinib in patients with severe refractory asthma.N Engl J Med. 2017; 376: 1911-1920
- Intensive vs standard treatment of hyperglycemia and functional outcome in patients with acute ischemic stroke: the SHINE randomized clinical trial.JAMA. 2019; 322: 326-335
- Efficacy of self-monitored blood pressure, with or without telemonitoring, for titration of antihypertensive medication (TASMINH4): an unmasked randomised controlled trial.Lancet. 2018; 391: 949-959
- Low-dose ritonavir-boosted Darunavir once daily versus ritonavir-boosted lopinavir for participants with less than 50 HIV RNA copies per mL (WRHI 052): a randomised, open-label, phase 3, non-inferiority trial.Lancet HIV. 2019; 6: e428-e437
- Tafenoquine versus primaquine to Prevent Relapse of Plasmodium vivax Malaria.N Engl J Med. 2019; 380: 229-241
- Effect of Oral alfacalcidol on clinical outcomes in patients without secondary hyperparathyroidism receiving maintenance hemodialysis: The J-DAVID Randomized Clinical Trial.JAMA. 2018; 320: 2325-2334
- Anti-influenza immune plasma for the treatment of patients with severe influenza A: a randomised, double-blind, phase 3 trial.Lancet Respir Med. 2019; 7: 941-950
- Immune plasma for the treatment of severe influenza: an open-label, multicentre, phase 2 randomised study.Lancet Respir Med. 2017; 5: 500-511
- A placebo-controlled trial of antibiotics for smaller skin abscesses.N Engl J Med. 2017; 376: 2545-2555
- Algorithm-guided empirical tuberculosis treatment for people with advanced HIV (TB Fast Track): an open-label, cluster-randomised trial.Lancet HIV. 2020; 7: e27-e37
- Effect of universal testing and treatment on HIV incidence - HPTN 071 (PopART).N Engl J Med. 2019; 381: 207-218
- Biodegradable polymer sirolimus-eluting stents versus durable polymer everolimus-eluting stents in patients with ST-segment elevation myocardial infarction (BIOSTEMI): a single-blind, prospective, randomised superiority trial.Lancet. 2019; 394: 1243-1253
- Universal testing, expanded treatment, and incidence of HIV infection in Botswana.N Engl J Med. 2019; 381: 230-242
- Randomized trial of community treatment with azithromycin and ivermectin mass drug administration for control of scabies and impetigo.Clin Infect Dis. 2019; 68: 927-933
- A scalable, integrated intervention to engage people who inject drugs in HIV care and medication-assisted treatment (HPTN 074): a randomised, controlled phase 3 feasibility and efficacy study.Lancet. 2018; 392: 747-759
- A randomized, controlled trial of Ebola virus disease therapeutics.N Engl J Med. 2019; 381: 2293-2303
- Screening for tuberculosis with Xpert MTB/RIF assay versus fluorescent microscopy among adults newly diagnosed with human immunodeficiency virus in rural Malawi: a cluster randomized trial (Chepetsa).Clin Infect Dis. 2019; 68: 1176-1183
- N95 respirators vs medical masks for preventing influenza among health care personnel: a randomized clinical trial.JAMA. 2019; 322: 824-833
- Negligible impact of mass screening and treatment on mesoendemic malaria transmission at west Timor in Eastern Indonesia: a cluster-randomized trial.Clin Infect Dis. 2018; 67: 1364-1372
- Inclusion of pregnant women in COVID-19 treatment trials: a review and global call to action.Lancet Glob Health. 2021; 9: e366-e371
- Pregnancy-associated changes in pharmacokinetics: a systematic review.PLoS Med. 2016; 13e1002160
- Prescription drug use in pregnancy.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2004; 191: 398-407
- Prescription drug use during pregnancy in developed countries: a systematic review.Pharmacoepidemiol Drug Saf. 2011; 20: 895-902
- Prescription medication use during pregnancies that resulted in births and abortions (2001-2013): a retrospective population-based study in a Canadian population.PLoS One. 2019; 14e0211319
- Evolving knowledge of the teratogenicity of medications in human pregnancy.Am J Med Genet C Semin Med Genet. 2011; 157C: 175-182
- Pharmacokinetics during pregnancy: evidence-based maternal dose formulation.Obstet Gynecol. 1999; 93: 858-868
- Amoxicillin pharmacokinetics in pregnant women: modeling and simulations of dosage strategies.Clin Pharmacol Ther. 2007; 81: 547-556
- Pregnancy, breastfeeding and the SARS-CoV-2 vaccine: an ethics-based framework for shared decision-making.CMAJ. 2021; 193: E312-E314
Institute for Clinical Evaluative Sciences. ICES COVID-19 Dashboard. Available at: https://www.ices.on.ca/DAS/AHRQ/COVID-19-Dashboard#priority-groups. Accessed November 5, 2021.
Scicione AC. 40 years of leading maternal and fetal care: our journey together. 2013. Available at: https://s3.amazonaws.com/cdn.smfm.org/media/1819/SMFM_AllChapters.pdf. Accessed June 29, 2021.
- NIH guidelines on the inclusion of women and minorities as subjects in clinical research.NIH guide to grants and contracts. National Institutes of Health, Washington, DC1994: 94-100
US Department of Health and Human Services Food and Drug Administration Center for Drug Evaluation and Research (CDER) Center for Biologics Evaluation and Research (CBER). Pregnant women: scientific and ethical considerations for inclusion in clinical trials guideance for industry. 2018. Available at: https://www.fda.gov/media/112195/download. Accessed June 29, 2021.
International Ethical Guidelines for health-related research Involving Humans. Council for International Organizations of Medical Sciences (CIOMS) in collaboration with the World Health Organization (WHO). 2016. Available at: https://cioms.ch/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/WEB-CIOMS-EthicalGuidelines.pdf. Accessed June 29, 2021.
Office for Human Research Protections. Additional protections for pregnant women, human fetuses and neonates involved in research, subpart B. 45 CFR 46. 2021. Available at: https://www.hhs.gov/ohrp/regulations-and-policy/regulations/45-cfr-46. Accessed November 4, 2021.
Task force on research specific to pregnant women and lactating women. Report to Secretary. Health and Human Services Congress; 2018. Available at: https://www.nichd.nih.gov/about/advisory/PRGLAC. Accessed November 4, 2021
- Advancing HIV research with pregnant women: navigating challenges and opportunities.AIDS. 2016; 30: 2261-2265
- Beyond “vessels and vectors”: a global review of registered HIV-related clinical trials with pregnant women.J Womens Health (Larchmt). 2019; 28: 93-99
- Women as vessels and vectors: lessons from the HIV epidemic.(ed)in: Wolf SM Feminism and bioethics: beyond reproduction. Oxford University Press, New York, NY1996
The International Maternal Pediatric Adolescent AIDS Clinical Trials (IMPAACT) Network. IMPAACT at International Workshop on HIV pediatrics 2022 and AIDS 2022. 2022. Available at: https://www.impaactnetwork.org/. Accessed July 14, 2022.
- Enrollment and transition challenges in the International Maternal Pediatric and Adolescent AIDS Clinical Trials (IMPAACT) network's PROMISE trial for resource-limited regions.Clin Trials. 2020; 17: 437-447
- Pharmacologic studies in vulnerable populations: using the pediatric experience.Semin Perinatol. 2015; 39: 532-536
A Randomised, Embedded, Multi-factorial, Adaptive Platform Trial for Community-Acquired Pneumonia (REMAP-CAP) - COVID-19 pandemic appendix. Available at: https://www.remapcap.org/coronavirus. Accessed 7 July 2021.
World Health Organization. Solidarity clinical trial for COVID-19 treatments. Available at: https://www.who.int/emergencies/diseases/novel-coronavirus-2019/global-research-on-novel-coronavirus-2019-ncov/solidarity-clinical-trial-for-covid-19-treatments. Accessed 7 July 2021.
University of Oxford. Randomized evaluation of COVID-19 therapy (RECOVERY) protocol v15.0 2021-04-12. Available at: https://www.recoverytrial.net/files/recovery-protocol-v15-0-2021-04-12.pdf. Accessed 5 July 2021.
- The pregnant women as a drug orphan: a global survey of registered clinical trials of pharmacological interventions in pregnancy.BJOG. 2017; 124: 132-140
- Including pregnant women in clinical research: practical guidance for institutional review boards.Ethics Hum Res. 2019; 41: 35-40
S.E.L. has received payments from Cambridge University Press and SAGE Publishing, outside this work. All other authors report no conflicts of interest.
Cite this article as: Jorgensen SCJ, Miljanic S, Tabbara N, et al. Inclusion of pregnant and breastfeeding women in nonobstetrical randomized controlled trials. Am J Obstet Gynecol MFM 2022;XX:x.ex–x.ex.