Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Obstetrics & Gynecology MFM
U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. The Surgeon General's call to action to improve maternal health. Available at:https://www.hhs.gov/sites/default/files/call-to-action-maternal-health.pdf. Accessed March 18, 2022.
U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. Healthy women, healthy pregnancies, healthy futures: action plan to improve maternal health in America. Available at:https://aspe.hhs.gov/system/files/aspe-files/264076/healthy-women-healthy-pregnancies-healthy-future-action-plan_0.pdf. Accessed March 18, 2022.
- Racial and ethnic disparities in death associated with severe maternal morbidity in the United States: failure to rescue.Obstet Gynecol. 2021; 137: 791-800
- Racial and ethnic disparities in the incidence of severe maternal morbidity in the United States, 2012-2015.Obstet Gynecol. 2018; 132: 1158-1166
- Severe maternal morbidity and mortality among indigenous women in the United States.Obstet Gynecol. 2020; 135: 294-300
- Structural racism and maternal health among Black women.J Law Med Ethics. 2020; 48: 506-517
- Social and structural determinants of health inequities in maternal health.J Womens Health (Larchmt). 2021; 30: 230-235
- Neighborhood racial and economic polarization, hospital of delivery, and severe maternal morbidity.Health Aff (Millwood). 2020; 39: 768-776
- Structural racism and severe maternal morbidity in New York State.Clin Med Insights Womens Health. 2019; 12 (1179562X19854778)
- Structural racism and health disparities: reconfiguring the social determinants of health framework to include the root cause.J Law Med Ethics. 2020; 48: 518-526
- How structural racism works - racist policies as a root cause of U.S. racial health inequities.N Engl J Med. 2021; 384: 768-773
- Structural racism and health inequities in the USA: evidence and interventions.Lancet. 2017; 389: 1453-1463
- Structural racism in historical and modern US health care policy.Health Aff (Millwood). 2022; 41: 187-194
- The contrast of color: why the Black community continues to suffer health disparities.Obstet Gynecol. 2021; 137: 220-224
- Reduction of peripartum racial and ethnic disparities: a conceptual framework and maternal safety consensus bundle.Obstet Gynecol. 2018; 131: 770-782
- The maternal early warning criteria: a proposal from the National Partnership for Maternal Safety.Obstet Gynecol. 2014; 124: 782-786
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. U.S. standard certificate of live birth. Available at: https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/dvs/birth11-03final-ACC.pdf. Accessed March 18, 2022.
Health Resources and Services Administration. Area Health Resources Files (AHRF). data.HRSA.gov. Available at: https://data.hrsa.gov/topics/health-workforce/ahrf. Accessed March 18, 2022.
- Validation of severe maternal morbidity on the US certificate of live birth.Epidemiology. 2018; 29: e31-e32
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. How does CDC identify severe maternal morbidity? 2019. Available at:https://www.cdc.gov/reproductivehealth/maternalinfanthealth/smm/severe-morbidity-ICD.htm. Accessed March 18, 2022.
Kaiser Family Foundation. Medicaid and CHIP Income eligibility limits for pregnant women. Available at:https://www.kff.org/medicaid/state-indicator/medicaid-and-chip-income-eligibility-limits-for-pregnant-women/?currentTimeframe=0&sortModel=%7B%22colId%22:%22Location%22,%22sort%22:%22asc%22%7D. Accessed March 18, 2022.
R Core Team. The R Project for Statistical Computing. Available at: https://www.R-project.org/. Accessed March 18, 2022.
- Using the standardized difference to compare the prevalence of a binary variable between two groups in observational research.Commun Stat Simul Comput. 2009; 38: 1228-1234
- Physicians and implicit bias: how doctors may unwittingly perpetuate health care disparities.J Gen Intern Med. 2013; 28: 1504-1510
- Implicit racial/ethnic bias among health care professionals and its influence on health care outcomes: a systematic review.Am J Public Health. 2015; 105: e60-e76
- Racial bias in pain assessment and treatment recommendations, and false beliefs about biological differences between blacks and whites.Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2016; 113: 4296-4301
- Race, gender, and partnership in the patient-physician relationship.JAMA. 1999; 282: 583-589
- Patient-physician relationships and racial disparities in the quality of health care.Am J Public Health. 2003; 93: 1713-1719
- Association of racial/ethnic and gender concordance between patients and physicians with patient experience ratings.JAMA Netw Open. 2020; 3e2024583
- Patient-physician racial concordance associated with improved healthcare use and lower healthcare expenditures in minority populations.J Racial Ethn Health Disparities. 2022; 9: 68-81
- Physician-patient racial concordance and disparities in birthing mortality for newborns.Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2020; 117: 21194-21200
- Trends in diversity and representativeness of health care workers in the United States, 2000 to 2019.JAMA Netw Open. 2021; 4e2117086
- Capacity to Review and Prevent Maternal Deaths. Report from nine maternal mortality review committee.Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 2018 (Available at:)Accessed March 18, 2022)
- Bias analysis.in: Lash TL VanderWeele TJ Haneuse S Rothman KJ Modern epidemiology. Wolters Kluwer, Philadelphia, PA2021
The authors report no conflict of interest.
J.G. is supported by an R21 from the National Institute on Minority Health and Health Disparities (grant number R21 MD016414) and by an R21 from the National Institute of Mental Health (grant number R21 MH126096).
This study was presented at the 54th annual meeting of the Society for Obstetric Anesthesia and Perinatology, Chicago, IL, May 11–15, 2022.
Cite this article as: Guglielminotti J, Samari G, Friedman AM, et al. Nurse workforce diversity and reduced risk of severe adverse maternal outcomes. Am J Obstet Gynecol MFM 2022;XX:x.ex–x.ex.