Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Obstetrics & Gynecology MFM
- An overview of perinatal mood and anxiety disorders: epidemiology and etiology. Women's.Mood Disord. 2021; : 5-16
- Prevalence of prenatal depression symptoms among 2 generations of pregnant mothers: the Avon longitudinal study of parents and children.JAMA Netw Open. 2018; 1e180725
- Racial disparities in elevated prenatal depressive symptoms among black and white women in eastern North Carolina.Ann Epidemiol. 2006; 16: 463-468
- Prevalence of postpartum depression among Hispanic immigrant women.J Am Acad Nurse Pract. 2012; 24: 726-734
- Race/ethnicity and perinatal depressed mood.J Reprod Infant Psychol. 2006; 24: 99-106
- Screening for depression in pregnancy and the postpartum period.Clin Obstet Gynecol. 2018; 61: 525-532
- Screening for postpartum anxiety: a quality improvement project to promote the screening of women suffering in silence.Midwifery. 2018; 62: 161-170
- Prevalence and risk factors for postpartum depression among women with preterm and low-birth-weight infants: a systematic review.BJOG. 2010; 117: 540-550
- Maternal drug-related death and suicide are leading causes of postpartum death in California.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2019; 221 (489.e1–9)
- Screening and treatment after implementation of a universal perinatal depression screening program.Obstet Gynecol. 2019; 134: 303-309
- Maternal depression trajectories from pregnancy to 3 years postpartum are associated with children's behavior and executive functions at 3 and 6 years.Arch Womens Ment Health. 2018; 21: 353-363
- Prenatal maternal anxiety and depression predict negative behavioral reactivity in infancy.Infancy. 2004; 6: 319-331
- Antenatal maternal anxiety and stress and the neurobehavioural development of the fetus and child: links and possible mechanisms. A review.Neurosci Biobehav Rev. 2005; 29: 237-258
- Antenatal depression and the impact on infant cognitive, language and motor development at six and twelve months postpartum.Early Hum Dev. 2019; 134: 41-46
- Trajectories of maternal depressive symptoms during pregnancy and the first 12 months postpartum and child externalizing and internalizing behavior at three years.PLoS One. 2018; 13e0195365
- ACOG Committee Opinion No. 757: screening for perinatal depression.Obstet Gynecol. 2018; 132: e208-e212
- Screening for depression in adults: US Preventive Services Task Force recommendation statement.JAMA. 2016; 315: 380-387
- It is time for routine screening for perinatal mood and anxiety disorders in obstetrics and gynecology settings.Obstet Gynecol Surv. 2017; 72: 553-568
A.B. 2193, maternal mental health, 2018.https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/billTextClient.xhtml?bill_id=201720180AB2193
A.B. 3032, maternal mental health conditions 2018.https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/billTextClient.xhtml?bill_id=201720180AB3032
- Availability of network psychiatrists among the largest health insurance carriers in Washington, D.C.Psychiatr Serv. 2017; 68: 962-965
- Can we identify mothers at risk for postpartum depression in the immediate postpartum period using the Edinburgh Postnatal Depression Scale?.J Affect Disord. 2004; 78: 163-169
- Anxious and depressive components of Edinburgh Postnatal Depression Scale in maternal postpartum psychological problems.J Perinat Med. 2013; 41: 343-348
- Outcomes of implementing routine screening and referrals for perinatal mood disorders in an integrated multi-site pediatric and obstetric setting.Matern Child Health J. 2019; 23: 1292-1298
- The PHQ-9: a new depression diagnostic and severity measure.Psychiatr Ann. 2002; 32: 509-515
- The PHQ-9: validity of a brief depression severity measure.J Gen Intern Med. 2001; 16: 606-613
- Detection of postnatal depression. Development of the 10-item Edinburgh Postnatal Depression Scale.Br J Psychiatry. 1987; 150: 782-786
- Screening for perinatal depression with the patient health questionnaire depression scale (PHQ-9): a systematic review and meta-analysis.Gen Hosp Psychiatry. 2021; 68: 74-82
- Research electronic data capture (REDCap)–a metadata-driven methodology and workflow process for providing translational research informatics support.J Biomed Inform. 2009; 42: 377-381
- Severe postpartum haemorrhage after vaginal delivery: a statistical process control chart to report seven years of continuous quality improvement.Eur J Obstet Gynecol Reprod Biol. 2014; 178: 169-175
County of Los Angeles Public Health. Maternal, child, and adolescent health. 2014. Available at: http://publichealth.lacounty.gov/mch/LAMB/LAMBResults.html. Accessed January 5th, 2019.
- A systematic review of interventions for healthcare professionals to improve screening and referral for perinatal mood and anxiety disorders.Arch Womens Ment Health. 2019; 22: 25-36
The authors report no conflict of interest.
Cite this article as: Accortt EE, Haque L, Bamgbose O, et al. Implementing an inpatient postpartum depression screening, education, and referral program: a quality improvement initiative. Am J Obstet Gynecol MFM 2022;XX:x.ex–x.ex.