Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Obstetrics & Gynecology MFM
- Cell-free plasma DNA as a predictor of outcome in severe sepsis and septic shock.Clin Chem. 2008; 54: 1000-1007
- Plasma DNA, prediction and post-traumatic complications.Clin Chim Acta. 2001; 313: 81-85
- Prognostic use of circulating plasma nucleic acid concentrations in patients with acute stroke.Clin Chem. 2003; 49: 562-569
- Donor-specific cell-free DNA as a biomarker in solid organ transplantation. A systematic review.Transplantation. 2019; 103: 273-283
- Plasma DNA tissue mapping by genome-wide methylation sequencing for noninvasive prenatal, cancer, and transplantation assessments.Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2015; 112: E5503-E5512
- Cell-free DNA as a biomarker in autoimmune rheumatic diseases.Front Immunol. 2019; 10: 502
- [Nuclear acids in human blood plasma].C R Seances Soc Biol Fil. 1948; 142: 241-243
- The diverse origins of circulating cell-free DNA in the human body: a critical re-evaluation of the literature.Biol Rev Camb Philos Soc. 2018; 93: 1649-1683
- Noninvasive prenatal testing and incidental detection of occult maternal malignancies.JAMA. 2015; 314: 162-169
- Quantitative analysis of fetal DNA in maternal plasma and serum: implications for noninvasive prenatal diagnosis.Am J Hum Genet. 1998; 62: 768-775
- The impact of maternal plasma DNA fetal fraction on next generation sequencing tests for common fetal aneuploidies.Prenat Diagn. 2013; 33: 667-674
- Fetal fraction in maternal plasma cell-free DNA at 11-13 weeks’ gestation: relation to maternal and fetal characteristics.Ultrasound Obstet Gynecol. 2013; 41: 26-32
- The implications of non-invasive prenatal testing failures: a review of an under-discussed phenomenon.Prenat Diagn. 2016; 36: 391-396
- Cell-free DNA analysis for noninvasive examination of trisomy.N Engl J Med. 2015; 372: 1589-1597
- Analysis of cell-free DNA in maternal blood in screening for aneuploidies: updated meta-analysis.Ultrasound Obstet Gynecol. 2017; 50: 302-314
- The influence of low molecular weight heparin medication on plasma DNA in pregnant women.Prenat Diagn. 2015; 35: 1155-1157
- The association between anticoagulation therapy, maternal characteristics, and a failed cfDNA test due to a low fetal fraction.Prenat Diagn. 2017; 37: 1125-1129
- Screening for trisomies by cell-free DNA testing of maternal blood: consequences of a failed result.Ultrasound Obstet Gynecol. 2016; 47: 698-704
- Prenatal cell-free DNA screening test failures: a systematic review of failure rates, risks of Down syndrome, and impact of repeat testing.Genet Med. 2018; 20: 1312-1323
- Autoimmune disorders but not heparin are associated with cell-free fetal DNA test failure.J Transl Med. 2018; 16: 335
- Repeated failed non-invasive prenatal testing in a woman with immune thrombocytopenia and antiphospholipid syndrome: lessons learnt.BMJ Case Rep. 2016; 2016bcr2016216593
- Repeated failed non-invasive prenatal testing owing to low cell-free fetal DNA fraction and increased variance in a woman with severe autoimmune disease.Ultrasound Obstet Gynecol. 2014; 44: 242-243
- Nonreportable rates and cell-free DNA profiles in noninvasive prenatal testing among women with heparin treatment.Prenat Diagn. 2020; 40: 838-845
- The REDCap consortium: building an international community of software platform partners.J Biomed Inform. 2019; 95103208
- Research Electronic Data Capture (REDCap)–a metadata-driven methodology and workflow process for providing translational research informatics support.J Biomed Inform. 2009; 42: 377-381
- Size-based molecular diagnostics using plasma DNA for noninvasive prenatal testing.Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2014; 111: 8583-8588
- Effects of medication intake in early pregnancy on the fetal fraction of cell-free DNA testing.Prenat Diagn. 2019; 39: 361-368
- Circulating cell free DNA testing: are some test failures informative?.Prenat Diagn. 2015; 35: 289-293
- Increased levels of circulating DNA in patients with systemic autoimmune diseases: a possible marker of disease activity in Sjögren's syndrome.Lupus. 2011; 20: 928-935
- Circulating DNA in rheumatoid arthritis: pathological changes and association with clinically used serological markers.Arthritis Res Ther. 2017; 19: 85
- Correlation between cell free DNA levels and medical evaluation of disease progression in systemic lupus erythematosus patients.Cell Immunol. 2014; 292: 32-39
- High levels of circulating cell-free DNA are a biomarker of active SLE.Eur J Clin Invest. 2018; 48: e13015
- Release of neutrophil extracellular traps by neutrophils stimulated with antiphospholipid antibodies: a newly identified mechanism of thrombosis in the antiphospholipid syndrome.Arthritis Rheumatol. 2015; 67: 2990-3003
- Antiphospholipid antibody-activated NETs exacerbate trophoblast and endothelial cell injury in obstetric antiphospholipid syndrome.J Cell Mol Med. 2020; 24: 6690-6703
- Nuclear and mitochondrial circulating cell-free DNA is increased in patients with inflammatory bowel disease in clinical remission.Front Med (Lausanne). 2020; 7593316
- Considering sex as a biological variable in preclinical research.FASEB J. 2017; 31: 29-34
- Sex as a biological variable: a 5-year progress report and call to action.J Womens Health (Larchmt). 2020; 29: 858-864
R.S. and S.D. are combined last senior authors.
The authors report no conflict of interest.
This study was funded by the National Institutes of Health (grant number K08HD067221). The funders had no role in the study design, collection, analysis, or interpretation of data, or in the writing of the report or decision to submit the article for publication. Additional funding for this study was received from the National Center for Advancing Translational Sciences (grant numbers UL1TR002319, KL2TR002317, and TL1TR002318).
Preliminary findings of this study were presented as a poster at the 41st annual meeting of the Society for Maternal-Fetal Medicine, held virtually, January 25–30, 2021.
Cite this article as: MacKinnon HJ, Kolarova TR, Katz R, et al. The impact of maternal autoimmune disease on cell-free DNA test characteristics. Am J Obstet Gynecol MFM 2021;XX:x.ex–x.ex.