Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Obstetrics & Gynecology MFM
- Healthcare Cost and Utilization Project (HCUP).Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality, Rockville, MD2019
- Opioid use disorder documented at delivery hospitalization—United States, 1999-2014.MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2018; 67: 845-849
- Mothers’ reports of postpartum pain associated with vaginal and cesarean deliveries: results of a national survey.Birth. 2008; 35: 16-24
- Local cooling for relieving pain from perineal trauma sustained during childbirth.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2020; 10CD006304
- Analgesia for relief of pain due to uterine cramping/involution after birth.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2011; 5CD004908
- World Health Organization. Cancer pain relief.2nd edition. WHO, Geneva, Switzerland1996
- Opioid prescribing patterns among postpartum women.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2018; 219 (103.e1–8)
- Delivery type, opioid prescribing, and the risk of persistent opioid use after delivery.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2019; 220: 405-407
- Rates of new persistent opioid use after vaginal or cesarean birth among US women.JAMA Netw Open. 2019; 2e197863
- Births: final data for 2018. Natl Vital Stat Rep.National Center for Health Statistics, Hyattsville, MD2019: 1-47
- Evaluation of opioid use with split doses of oral opioids in a postcesarean delivery analgesia order set.Obstet Gynecol. 2019; 134: 120-127
- Implementation of a multimodal pain management order set reduces perioperative opioid use after liver transplantation.Pharmacotherapy. 2019; 39: 975-982
- A systematic review of the pain scales in adults: which to use?.Am J Emerg Med. 2018; 36: 707-714
- Incidence, severity, and determinants of perineal pain after vaginal delivery: a prospective cohort study.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2004; 191: 1199-1204
- Best practices in management of postpartum pain.J Perinat Neonatal Nurs. 2017; 31: 126-136
- Inpatient opioid use after vaginal delivery.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2018; 219 (608.e1–7)
- Home opioid use following cesarean delivery: how many opioid tablets should obstetricians prescribe?.J Obstet Gynaecol Res. 2018; 44: 723-729
- Medication sharing, storage, and disposal practices for opioid medications among US adults.JAMA Intern Med. 2016; 176: 1027-1029
This study was conducted in St. Louis, Missouri.
The authors report no conflict of interest.
This study received no financial support from any sponsors of any kind in the collection, analysis, and interpretation of data.
Data from this study were presented as a poster (number 272, “Reduction of opioid utilization after vaginal delivery with an electronic health record intervention”) at the 40th annual pregnancy meeting of the Society for Maternal-Fetal Medicine, held virtually, February 3–8, 2020.
Cite this article as: Rimsza RR, Perez WM, Shyken J, et al. Reduction of opioid utilization after vaginal delivery with an electronic health record intervention. Am J Obstet Gynecol MFM 2021;XX:x.ex–x.ex.