Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Obstetrics & Gynecology MFM
- What is stillbirth?.2019 (Available at:)https://www.cdc.gov/ncbddd/stillbirth/facts.htmlDate accessed: February 11, 2020
- Fetal and perinatal mortality: United States, 2013.Natl Vital Stat Rep. 2015; 64: 1-24
- Confirmed severe maternal morbidity is associated with high rate of preterm delivery.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2016; 215: 233.e1-233.e7
- A population-based case-control study of stillbirth: the relationship of significant life events to the racial disparity for African Americans.Am J Epidemiol. 2013; 177: 755-767
- Stillbirth epidemiology, risk factors, and opportunities for stillbirth prevention.Clin Obstet Gynecol. 2010; 53: 588-596
- Racial disparities in stillbirth risk across gestation in the United States.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2009; 201: 469.e1-469.e8
- Perinatal Research Consortium. Obesity and the risk of stillbirth: a population-based cohort study.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2014; 210: 457.e1-457.e9
- Maternal prepregnancy obesity and cause-specific stillbirth.Am J Clin Nutr. 2015; 102: 858-864
- Severe maternal morbidity among stillbirth and live birth deliveries in California.Obstet Gynecol. 2019; 134: 310-317
- Maternal complications associated with stillbirth delivery: a cross-sectional analysis.J Obstet Gynaecol. 2016; 36: 208-212
- Population-based risk for peripartum hysterectomy during low- and moderate-risk delivery hospitalizations.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2016; 215: 640.e1-640.e8
- From grief, guilt pain and stigma to hope and pride—a systematic review and meta-analysis of mixed-method research of the psychosocial impact of stillbirth.BMC Pregnancy Childbirth. 2016; 16: 9
- The association of stillbirth with depressive symptoms 6-36 months post-delivery.Paediatr Perinat Epidemiol. 2015; 29: 131-143
- Association between stillbirth ≥23 weeks gestation and acute psychiatric illness within 1 year of delivery.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2019; 221 (491.e1–22)
- A multi-state analysis of postpartum readmissions in the United States.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2016; 215 (113.e1–10)
- 102: management of stillbirth.Obstet Gynecol. 2009; 113: 748-761
- 736: optimizing postpartum care.Obstet Gynecol. 2018; 131: e140-e150
- Racial and ethnic disparities in hospital readmissions after delivery.Obstet Gynecol. 2015; 126: 1040-1047
- The association between hospital obstetrical volume and maternal postpartum complications.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2012; 207 (42.e1–17)
- The relative effects of patient and hospital factors on postpartum readmissions.J Perinatol. 2018; 38: 804-812
- Severe maternal morbidity at delivery and risk of hospital encounters within 6 weeks and 1 year postpartum.J Womens Health (Larchmt). 2018; 27: 140-147
- Maternal health after stillbirth: postpartum hospital readmission in California.Am J Perinatol. 2020; ([Epub ahead of print])
- Severe maternal morbidity in the United States.2017 (Available at:)https://www.cdc.gov/reproductivehealth/maternalinfanthealth/severematernalmorbidity.htmlDate accessed: February 28, 2018
- Maternity length of stay rules.National Conference of State Legislatures. 2018 (Available at:)https://www.ncsl.org/research/health/final-maternity-length-of-stay-rules-published.aspxDate accessed: May 26, 2020
- Preterm birth outcomes among Asian women by maternal place of birth.J Perinatol. 2020; 40: 758-766
- Use of traditional birth practices by Chinese women in the United States.MCN Am J Matern Child Nurs. 2017; 42: 153-159
- Infectious morbidity after cesarean delivery: 10 strategies to reduce risk.Rev Obstet Gynecol. 2012; 5: 69-77
- Risk of selected postpartum infections after cesarean section compared with vaginal birth: a five-year cohort study of 32,468 women.Acta Obstet Gynecol Scand. 2009; 88: 976-983
- Maternity care in California: delivering the data.2016 (Available at:)https://www.chcf.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/12/PDF-MaternityCareCalifornia2016.pdfDate accessed: May 21, 2020
- Effects of Medicaid expansion on postpartum coverage and outpatient utilization.Health Aff (Millwood). 2020; 39: 77-84
The authors report no conflict of interest.
This work was supported by the National Institutes of Health ( NR017020 and HD095034 ) and the Department of Anesthesiology, Perioperative, and Pain Medicine and the Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Stanford University School of Medicine.
The funders had no role in the study design, data collection and analysis, decision to publish, or preparation of the manuscript.
The State of California Committee for the Protection of Human Subjects and the Stanford University Research Compliance Office approved the study protocol. Informed consent was not obtained because the institutional review boards deemed the research involved no more than minimal risk to the participants, the waiver would not adversely affect the rights and welfare of the participants, and the research could not practically be carried out without the waiver. Permission was obtained by the institutional review boards to access the data used in the study.
The study data are available by request from the California Office of Statewide Health Planning and Development.
This abstract was presented as a poster presentation at the 3rd annual meeting of the Maternal and Child Health Research Institute in Stanford, California on November 6, 2020.
Cite this article as: DiTosto JD, Liu C, Wall-Wieler E, et al. Risk factors for postpartum readmission among women after having a stillbirth. Am J Obstet Gynecol MFM 2021;XX:x.ex–x.ex.